Duplex Parts

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
BPK1947

Duplex Parts

Post by BPK1947 »

Hi, My name is Bryan. I’m new to this and any forum for that matter. I am assembling a Duplex model 22 and could use some guidance. I’m trying to figure out if there is a mechanism that stops it from turning in the wind. Any advice or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
IvanBlock

Re: Duplex Parts

Post by IvanBlock »

I've restored several Duplex windmills both wood and steel wheel but am not familiar with a Model 22. Could you explain where that model # comes from or maybe attach a few pictures of what you're working on...
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You have a normal Duplex vaneless mill. Never seen a model number for it. Try going into the literature section of the site and I bet there will be a parts brake down. I can see you need the weight, arm it fits on two links that go forward and work the shut off. Ivan probably knows the names by heart.
IvanBlock

Post by IvanBlock »

Bryan your Duplex windmill was designed to be able to have the wheel "open" and let the wind pass through. This is the way it stops or at least slows considerably in windy conditions. The cable to the shut off winch at the bottom of the tower raises the governor weight and opens the wheel to allow wind to pass through. See attached pictures. Hope this helps, just ask if you have more questions.
100_5838.jpg
100_5824.jpg
100_5806.jpg
100_5803.jpg
100_5821.jpg
For what its worth I've attached a picture of how to rig a Duplex for lifting...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Ivan that is one beautiful mill.gr8 job is the cast iron original
IvanBlock

Post by IvanBlock »

Dan, all original except the wood, pipe arms, rim and pullout rods. Was found on a farm just 9 miles from Superior Wisconsin where it was made. Taken off the tower in the fall, restored over winter and put back up the next summer. That was around 2012 or 2013 as close as I can remember...