Southern Cross IZ-B

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Southern Cross IZ-B

Post by Ron Stauffer »

I had set up a Soutthern Cross to pump one time that the customer sourced the mill, I think it came from Ken. The long stroke on the 8' was something under 7" and the short even more so. I didnt really measure big and small gears to see what the back gear ratio was. or what the strokes per minute was. But it is different.

Dakota copied the spoke brace for their new improved 602 spoke brace if you need any

The Southern Cross does have a weakness but cant remember what it is. Tim C had ended up with one on a trade with Emicks that I remember looking at that was trashed

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Smax

Post by Smax »

Great ,looking forward to seeing more photos of progress
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

I'm working to get this mill up before Thanksgiving. It doesn't need much to get it up and flying.

Removed the existing lettering from the tail vane and traced new lettering using an image I found online. Projected the image on to the tail. It turned out better than I expected.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Tower is assembled, and painted with Rustoleum cold galvanizing.

4.jpg

Hinged anchors are in the ground......

5.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Gearbox and associated parts are painted Southern Cross teal blue/green.

IMG_20211025_140619.jpg
IMG_20211025_140631.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

The only remaining item to address is the brake band. Friction material has worn thru to the rivet heads in one area. The friction material is held on with pop rivets.

8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg

Found replacement non-metallic friction material at McMaster-Carr. I'll get this changed out sometime this week.

12.jpg
13.jpg

More to come........
PaulV
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Paul, its just time & money ! Impressive craftsmanship and something to be proud of. May be in next years calendar , this years product is now at the printer.
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Paul Its looking good. Hoping from a long nice fall so everyone can get there projects finished up before winter hits. Take care and be safe.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

It was too windy and rainy this evening to work outside. Stayed in and swapped the friction material on the brake band. The new material is a little softer and more pliable than what was removed. We'll see if it holds up. Easy to change if it doesn't.

There's nothing left to do to this mill, so time to attach the tower to the hinged anchors and then begin assembling the mill on the tower.

More to come...

IMG_20211028_210759.jpg
IMG_20211028_210725.jpg
IMG_20211028_210718.jpg
PaulV
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I can relate to how excited you are Paul it's like being a little kid again.Hell I'm even excited can't wait for the ribbon cutting
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Sunday, Oct. 31 accomplishment: Tower is now attached to the anchor hinges.

IMG_20211031_122004.jpg
IMG_20211031_122043.jpg
IMG_20211031_123618.jpg
PaulV