Blade/Sail gauge thickness

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Rednecklowrider

Blade/Sail gauge thickness

Post by Rednecklowrider »

Hello everyone I’m new to the forum and I’m hoping to get some insight on maintaining my windmill. First off I have a 33 foot tower with a 12 foot wheel. Someone has felt the need to use it as target practice and now I need to replace the blades/sails. I have a good friend that’s offered to cut them out via waterjet and roll them for me. I just need to know the gauge thickness for the sheet metal I need to buy. I’ve search the Internet high and low and haven’t been able to come up with anything.Shy of me having to climb the tower With some type of measuring device I thought someone here may know. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Merlinn

Re: Blade/Sail gauge thickness

Post by Merlinn »

Can’t help you with your question but can welcome you to the forum!
I joined a while back when I purchased an Aermotor mill. It is standing tall in Gifford, south of Kettle Falls, not too far from you.
I am sure you will have your questions answered in no time!
“What we’ve got here, is, failure to communicate “
windybob

Post by windybob »

For my 6 and 8 footers, I use 20 ga. I have a 16 ft Dempster wheel, I used 16 ga for replacements. However, with hot dip galvanizing, it may add to the thickness. Maybe this helps.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Smax

Post by Smax »

I would use 16 GA as windy bob recommended he has made a few wheels and has even designed one of his own
Smax

Post by Smax »

And welcome to the forum
windybob

Post by windybob »

I merely said what I used. I can't really recommend, as I don't have a lot of experience with these sizes. Ron is much more qualified than me.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.