pumping water

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Jason Walter

pumping water

Post by Jason Walter »

Has anyone here had any success with building a PVC deep water hand pump? I understand that often they are run from wind and windmill power so that is why I am asking here.

It would seem the heart and soul of the pump is the check valve on the end of the pump piston, difficult to find a valve correct size to seal against outer/inner PVC casing.

If you had experience with building these than you would be clear on what I am referencing. Any help with this would be appreciated, tell me what youve built and I of course will share what I have learned and experienced.

Thanks
windybob

Re: pumping water

Post by windybob »

Hey welcome to the site. Hope someone can help, I'm not sure what you are referring to. In my world, the words PVC and Deep Well are almost incompatible. Scary. With the pressures and all, and the plastic.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Jason Walter

Post by Jason Walter »

Thanks, deep well being anything further down than 30ish ft, in other words beyond pitcher pump capability.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh...That's much better. Around here, deep is over 100 ft to water. Sch 40 prob be okay for that.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

There was a man in Amarillo, tx that sold a pvc cylinder. I understand he had trouble with the plastic gaulding.I suggest a brass cylinder with steel pipe of several joints on top and plastic on the bottom. Well glued threaded adapters on the plastic pipe or if you can find threaded plastic pipe, I know it was made in happy Texas.( he is out of business) The metal pipe is needed to keep the check washer from lifting the pipe from the well.The difference between buying gal. steel and messing with the plastic will pay off in the long run.I had a 60 foot well with two steel and one plastic and brass cylinder and had no trouble.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Jason Walter

Post by Jason Walter »

pcowley wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:53 pm There was a man in Amarillo, tx that sold a pvc cylinder. I understand he had trouble with the plastic gaulding.I suggest a brass cylinder with steel pipe of several joints on top and plastic on the bottom. Well glued threaded adapters on the plastic pipe or if you can find threaded plastic pipe, I know it was made in happy Texas.( he is out of business) The metal pipe is needed to keep the check washer from lifting the pipe from the well.The difference between buying gal. steel and messing with the plastic will pay off in the long run.I had a 60 foot well with two steel and one plastic and brass cylinder and had no trouble.
This guys e-bay listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Well-Pump ... 4404677640 is what brought me to this site, in his listing he states the pumps can and are used by windmill enthusiasts.

For all the time I have into this now trying to figure out his check valve system I could have purchased 2 of his set up, studied them, satisfied my curiosity and been done with this and had water to boot.

Im stubborn, I like to save money and use it on things I have little choice to use it on.

Id like to put together my own system and brag that I did it.

Here is a link showing what Im sure is an identical pump to the one the E-bay guy builds https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topi ... -at-lowes/

Unfortunately part G is no longer available in the same style, it has changed in other words in how its shaped so the part will no longer form a seal around the casing.

I believe I have come up with a solution and I believe I can make this valve and that I know what I need to know to make it happen, only time will tell.

Id like to make a something out of brass ect ect, at this point Im gonna stick with the inexpensive PVC, I believe that the fellow selling them on e-bay is selling something that will last long enough for my infrequent uses and if he can do it than so can I.

Thanks for the response
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've made pumping cylinders using grey sch 40 2 inch pipe and the regular pumping valve and check valves from a regular windmill brass cylinder. Put new leathers on. Of course it is just for show pumping with my gas engines and a windmill pump. I've started using a horizontal check valve now so the cylinder doesn't have to be so long. I've got about 60 ft of the grey sch 40 2 inch and 100 ft of the white. Threaded. Would sell cheap.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

I looked at his ebay ad and he uses 1/2"S40 pvc for sucker rod and 1.25" S40 pvc for drop pipe.

Further he states "Versions of this pump have been successfully adapted to function WITH WINDMILLS".

Best laugh for the day!

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Jason Walter

Post by Jason Walter »

Wayne wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:18 am I've made pumping cylinders using grey sch 40 2 inch pipe and the regular pumping valve and check valves from a regular windmill brass cylinder. Put new leathers on. Of course it is just for show pumping with my gas engines and a windmill pump. I've started using a horizontal check valve now so the cylinder doesn't have to be so long. I've got about 60 ft of the grey sch 40 2 inch and 100 ft of the white. Threaded. Would sell cheap.
Id like to have that, Im sure however shipping would be astronomical. Thanks however