Axtell Ever Oiled model B

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
CTXmiller

Axtell Ever Oiled model B

Post by CTXmiller »

I was fortunate to pick up an Axtell Ever Oiled model B. It is the first I have ever seen of a Axtell “B” and this one is basically complete, but will need a little work. Not a single bullet hole in the wheel/vane, which was surprising. Eight spokes and eight wheel sections with more rust on the spokes than on the wheel/vane.

Manufacturer’s date is 1931 (serial #603) and I believe it to be a 16’ wheel. It appears this larger gearbox of the “B” was interchangeable between a 16’ wheel or a 18’ wheel. While I have not laid the wheel out to measure the diameter, I believe it to be a 16’ wheel per the seller and the spokes are about 6’6” each. It is damn heavy, even the cast iron helmet seems to be 60lbs-ish. I picked up a rear tire on my 56hp tractor trying to unload it with the frontend loader, even with a heavy implement on the 3-point. Opted to use a larger tractor after that as I need more tractor tail end than hydraulics. My prior experience extends up to 10’ mills, until this one.

From my understanding from the seller, it was originally mounted on a wooden tower and was removed from the crumbling wooden tower about 20yrs ago. It has been setting on the ground, nicely stacked for those 20 or so years. I also received the windlass crank from the wooden tower.

The stub angle iron is 3.5 x 3.5 x .25 by 8’ in length so I’ll look at making a tower of similar angle iron. Comparing the Axtell angle iron to what I understand is on a typical Aermotor tower for a 16’ mill, the tower for a 16’ Aermotor is 3x3x.25. So by my logic, this Axtell stub is also suitable for an 18’ wheel, just like the gearbox.

I see no oiling or other platform holes in the stub angle so I’m curious - how one took off a 60lb-ish helmet and performed oiling maintenance? There is a top plug on the cast iron helmet to add oil so the helmet doesn’t actually have to come off.

Inside the gearbox looked good. Little issue on the hub shaft. Removed one mouse residence from the gearbox. The access points on the gearbox ‘seemingly’ make repairs easier, if ever anything is easy on a bigger mill (mild humor intended). The windmill bible says the B came in 12’, 14’, 16’ and 18’.

I found one image on-line of what appears to be a larger B. I have a little literature for a B, but if anyone has any literature or photos reference an Axtell B I’d be appreciative to see it. Thanks.

Photos are in no particular order.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: Axtell Ever Oiled model B

Post by CTXmiller »

Couple of more photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Wow that's awesome! Nice find! Looks to be in great shape... especially since it's set one the ground for 20+ years.
PaulV
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Nice find. Looks like these windmills were built to last.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have a 8 ft mod C . Pretty beefy. A regular machinists' dream come true. Never seen such a complicated cut mainshaft.
If you don't really need to tear it down, don't. Mine came in buckets. Fortunately I got new bearings, mainshaft, and other stuff with it. Thanks to Paul Cowley.
I have no idea how easy it will be to work on a big one like yours. Hope you have some big equipment to work on it with.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Great find!! I think you have definitely gotten the windmill fever since we met in Iowa!
Gregg
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Gregg,

I have. I’ve kept the fever modest for the most part, until this decision. My wife and I both went to a school called ‘Axtell’ so it was an easy sale to the better half.

My father-in-law, who you also met, developed a little windmill fever. He has been ‘trying’ to procure that Butler Double Gear I’ve posted photos of and we’ve rebuilt him a 6’ #12 as well to add to his Fairbury.
Terry

Post by Terry »

That is no little Shetland pony but a Clydesdale horse. It looks to be a interesting project.
Terry
windybob

Post by windybob »

If I remember, the A and C were lighter duty mills. The B and D were heavy duty.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I have a 11 1/2 ft. I've already decided if I put it back up I'm going to see if I can get me a Galvanized Bonnet made for it. Don't want to rent a crane if I ever wanted to take the bonnet of with it standing.