Aermotor

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Peter vk

Aermotor

Post by Peter vk »

Hi everyone, here's a question for you Aermotor guys. I'm working on a A702 with special hub so you can use the V spokes. I noticed that ring on the inside is totally worn off and the diameter is about 3 inches. Is this still usable or junk?
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Aermotor

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Peter
The OD of the ring on the snout that this rides on is 2.675". If you use this hub as is, you will never have to worry about draining the oil...

Dakota says you can weld to build up and then turn it down with a lathe. Or if you know someone with a special grinder... I think fixing it would be like asking a farmer what their time is worth..

In jest
Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

I figured it was junk, just needed conformation. Thanks Ron
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Peter
I have never done this but have contemplated it. The ring on the snout only wears on the top and the inside of the hub wears evenly as it is lathed by the snout. If the inside of they hub isnt grooved (like yours), why cant you buildup the circumference of the snout to match the hub ID? Doing this does bastardize the hub to that case. And the buildup has to be centered to the snout.

Tow or three years ago, I had a run of selling four 12' Aermotors with towers. I didnt have that many in stock and drove 500 miles to take one down for the last one. When I tore the motor apart to rebuild, the inside of the hub was worn and grooved. I may have considered bastardizing that one if it hadnt been going 1000 miles in the other direction. The other thing I considered was making a sleeve to fit down in the hub to bring it to the proper ID. The issue with this is that it takes away from cast on cast at the wear points.

I have an X723 and a B723 so I cant help you out with a replacement. Dakota some times has them

Ron
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

This isn't my windmill, it's Paul's, we have an extra regular 702 hub, I think we are going to use that one.
I finished my Beatty's, I will post some pictures soon.
Peter