Perkins Vaneless

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
windybob

Re: Perkins Vaneless

Post by windybob »

Ok, here is some Perkins information. All this is from the Green Book.

Perkins was more than just 1 company. It had different names and structures through the years.
The Perkins Wind Mill Company, in 1910 did indeed introduce a Vaneless model, A wooden model, called the Perkins Vaneless. All through the years, Perkins had Solid wheels, both wooden and steel, everything was solid this, and solid that, for all the mills they had. Pretty much from the start. This is the only Vaneless model listed, and it ran though around 1915 or 16 or so.

The Perkins Wind Mill and Engine Company formed from the afore-mentioned company, around the 1910 time. They also list the (apparently) same Vaneless windmill until the last date referenced around 1915.

There is material, brochures, and pictures available, but you are going to have to contact places where it all is. I will give you some places to call or check. Apparently this Vaneless model was short-lived, so you may just have a rare bird here.

1910, catalog #50, 158 pages, illustrated. Panhandle/plains historical museum, Canyon, Texas.
Same museum, only filed under Windmill Trade Literature Collection
Windmill Trade Lit. collection, Nebraska State Historical Soc. Lincoln, Neb.

1913. Catalog #60. 80 pages, with pictures. Same (one) place as cat #50 is located.

1915. Catalog #65. 80 pages, with pictures. Northern Indiana Historical Society. South Bend, In.
Studebaker Nat. Museum (library section) South Bend In.
American Wind Power Center, Lubbock Tx.

There you Go! Have fun. Keep us all posted on what you find. We are certainly interested in any uncommon mill someone runs across.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
sandhillmills

Post by sandhillmills »

Windy, thanks for the information. I will see if I can get a copy of one of these catalogs. This will go up on the shelf with 4 or 5 other mills that I'll probably never find all the parts to restore. To me, finding these mills is the fun part. Its kinda like hunting for gold, you don't want to quit! Thanks, Ron
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sounds good. Thanks.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Windy the GENUS strikes again.
windybob

Post by windybob »

It's from the book Wayne. Lol not my mind.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy, it still comes form your mind ! some of us ate the book instead of reading it. HA
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Windy when I used to work on big box computers I told a guy once you can't remember everything, but the answer is in a book somewhere and you need to know where to find the answer in the book. You found the book and the answer in the book. So makes you a GENUS
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

That is what I think. You don't need to remember much, if you remember where to look for the answer.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks guys. You have succeeded in swelling my cranium for the day.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

After about 30 tries I finally got it to download, great info, thanks!