Best paint for wooden wheels

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
bigbugranch

Best paint for wooden wheels

Post by bigbugranch »

I am looking for advice on what paint and primer is best for a wooden windmill wheel. It will be outside in the elements, mainly scorching sunlight since I live in Arizona.... Thanks!
Bill
windybob

Re: Best paint for wooden wheels

Post by windybob »

Maybe be a good idea to know just what kind of wood you have. Then go to professional paint stores and seek advice. maybe....just maybe you can get some kind of advice consistancy.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

There's a guy Lauren lockman from Nebraska who restores wooden windmills.if you told him what you have he'll know what paint and probably color your looking for.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That's a good idea. Wooden wheel windmills scare me when it comes to painting. Seems that nothing under the sun will stay on one that's under the sun.

Dad was a pro painter his whole life. commercial, industrial, etc etc. He would say to use a good oil primer, and then a very good top coat of oil paint, or high end Acrylic latex. Maybe 2 of each. But see, that's the 'old timer' view. With all the modern stuff, I don't know. Man, Dad could really paint. He could cut a line straighter than a razor edge, without masking tape, with one hand tied behind his back to stay even with the competition.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Windybob has good advice. A name brand oil base primer followed by a good water based top coat. Be sure and prime before putting the blades in the slots. Make sure the primer gets in the bolt holes and blade slots. assemble with stainless steel screws and non galvanized or platted bolts. Can't find them,soak plated bolts in muriatic acid (outdoors) (from lowes).I had a wheel pumping water for seven years in El Paso. If outside turn your mill on and let it dry out after a rain or snow. You did not say the mill you have.I hope this helps.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
bigbugranch

Post by bigbugranch »

Thanks to all for your replies. It is a Baker Monitor 10' Model L wooden wheel. It is made of cypress wood.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Those are really nice mill's.is yours complete with the cement foot ball counter weight or the steel sphere.good for you
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Gabby are you saying to prime everything first then topcoat after assembly. Thanks!

Darn it, I think Big Bug is gonna get his Monitor up before I get my Dempster up. I wanna be there when you turn it loose for the first time!

Windcatcher, Big Bug has the foot ball counterweight
bigbugranch

Post by bigbugranch »

Wincatcher, It is complete with the concrete football. I also heard there is a template that can be designed that will help in assembling the fan sections. Any help as to how to make one would be appreciated! Rockingjl, you have a lot of irons in the fire!
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

'Gabby are you saying to prime everything first then topcoat after assembly. Thanks!'
Yes! The only thing that is impractical to paint with either the primer or top coat is the screw holes when assembling the wheel sections.

Paul
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418