Mystery Mill #2

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Coulteryan

Mystery Mill #2

Post by Coulteryan »

Also got his when picking up a tower. I was told it is a Montgomery Ward, but don't know how to confirm.

Has M - F on the cast case and a couple of part numbers. About 7' tall on stub tower. Any help is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Mystery Mill #2

Post by windybob »

I think that's a "Running -in-oil-Giant" mill. The long pinion is the giveaway. I can look up more info if you need.

A little confused here. The 3rd picture shows 2 sprockets and a bullgear, but the next picture shows 2 bullgears and no sprockets. Maybe I've not had enough coffee yet.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The (Giant) was made by Althouse-Wheeler in the 30's. The Milfound Company bought them out eventually.

M-Ward, sold mills from many actual makers, but they were not a maker. They sold mills from Milfound, (Which would be the Giant) But I can't find a year. Seeing's how they only made them from the mid 30's until the war, then you can figure there were a few years in there that Wards sold them.

Also, there were at least 2 versions of the mill. Apparently, the earlier one had a chain-drive oiler, (ergo the sprockets) and a later one did not.
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

Thanks for your help.
I think the third pic is confusing because of a shadow across one gear. Don't think there are any sprockets in this one?
Since your first response I've looked at some pictures of AW mills. Some show a third upper gear which this does not have.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok then that would be what the chain runs around to oil the top side. You must have a later model.

Nice find!
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I have to agree i believe that is a run in oil giant. Final answer :roll: :roll:
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

I misspoke in the original post, the case has F - M in the casting. Could this mean Fairbanks Morse?

If that's true, it's likely a model 37, modified Althouse-Wheeler Run In Oil Giant.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yep. F/M put that out in 1937. However they did not make it, Milfound Co. did.

F/M co. Milked everything they could out of the name Eclipse for many years.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If the original owner was right about it being sold by Monkey Wards Milfound may have made one model and sold it to whom ever brought a check and would put their name on the vane. I'm curious about the green spring back where the Vane attaches.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Looks like a John Deere spring to me. Lol