monitor L pumping capacity

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
joe herman

monitor L pumping capacity

Post by joe herman »

I am going to be installing a Baker Monitor L over a well
that could be about 80 feet. What is the pumping capacity
for this mill under various conditions? Maximum depth and
pump cylinder diameter. This is going to be in Saskatchewan
with adequate wind available.
windybob

Re: monitor L pumping capacity

Post by windybob »

Joe, I could offer advice on wells, but in this case, with a DS mill, and being a 10 footer, I am clueless.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Joe
Early on, Aermotor advertised that their 8' mill would out pump 10' wooden mills and some 12' so that would be a starting point. Like maybe reduce the lift height by 10% for each cylinder size on an 8" Aermotor chart?

Remember the collective group wisdom is always less than the sum of all the individual wisdoms...

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
windybob

Post by windybob »

Joe, is there a different stroke setting on that mill? I think there is, but it's been a while since I worked on on of those. There are 2 that I know of in rural areas around here.

If so, what stroke is yours set on?

On a back-geared mill, at least around here, we use 1 1/4 drop pipe with a 7/16 steel rod. A 6 ft geared mill can use a 3 inch cylinder on 2 joints, and one more uses a 2 1/2 inch. If you have an 8 ft geared mill, we add a joint with the same size cylinders. 3 joints for a 3 inch, 4 for 2 1/2 etc. We have plumbed in around 100 ft or so, with an 8 ft mill, and 1 7/8 open top cylinder. Both long and short strokes we have used. There was a bit deeper well we used the same setup with, but needed to use the short stroke with a A702 head.After things worked a bit looser, we reset it to the long stroke.

Just a guess, but unless you can find legit information, I would consider a smaller cylinder and play with the stroke. Remember it will make more strokes of water than a geared mill, so even a short stroke my offer up a small flood.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yes Windy the Model has a long and short stroke. Of course how much water is going to depend also on how much wind.
windybob

Post by windybob »

After I restored one, and put it back up, I was surprised to see how much water it made. But they have to run kind of slow, because they pump on every revolution. I'm nut use to seeing a mill pump so fast.