Beatty pumper

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
joe herman

Beatty pumper

Post by joe herman »

I signed up to participate in an on line 10 day farm auction. There were two pallets of Beatty
Pumper parts. One had the 6 sail sections in good shape along with the tail vane that
was badly rusted at one end as if it had sat in a damp place for some time. Also bullet holes.
The other pallet had the head with a good hood, A very short 4 leg stub tower ,4 legs
sections ,support rods and a small long box with various nuts and bolts. Did not see any
furling items. Looked like there were only two spokes. Tail vane mounting frame also there.
I was in on the early bidding until Saturday when the bidding stalled and I was the high
bidder at $280.00. No further bidding on Mother`s day or Monday. Things were looking good.
This morning with new players the bidding proceeded with earnest and when the sale
closed at 10.00 AM the winning bid was $1000.00. That is $1000.00
This is more than I have spent on all but one windmill in my 13 years collecting mills.
A lot of other items went very high as well. Must have some thing to do with Covid-19.
Joe
hedgerow

Re: Beatty pumper

Post by hedgerow »

Joe There seems to be plenty of money around. Seems like with online auctions things get a little crazy the last hour of bidding. I had been looking for a notill drill during the winter and into early spring. Thought I had one bought on a online auction and then in the last hour of the auction the price increased by fifty percent. I just rented one this spring to do the job.
Dave Straub

Re: Beatty pumper

Post by Dave Straub »

Yup..USE to be you could go to an auction, buy a cup of coffee, and start browsing amongst 150- 300 people, have fun, and buy some bargains during the sale. NOW.. you go to a sale and due to the Internet auctions you are bidding against millions of bidders. All it takes is for some SOB that has more money than brains outbids you and you go home with nothing. Great for the sale owner but not great anymore for the buyer. Times have changed for auction goers. Being in the Antique business for 40 yrs. I closed the Antique business and got into Windmills-buying-fixing-selling. Business is great.