Windmill help - Tipp City, Ohio

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
PaulV
Site Admin

Windmill help - Tipp City, Ohio

Post by PaulV »

I've been offered a windmill and tower at no cost in Tipp City, Ohio.... if I can take it down. Can anyone recommend a windmiller/windmill service anywhere in the Ohio area that might help me take down the mill?

The mill is unfurled with the wheel chained to keep it from spinning. I'd love to get this saved before mother nature takes care of it.
IMG_20210523_092130_02.jpg
IMG_20210523_092130_01.jpg
IMG_20210523_092130_03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
windybob

Re: Windmill help - Tipp City, Ohio

Post by windybob »

Let's see. Wonder how far Todd is from there?

That sure looks nice. Is that a Bilby?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

I've not seen it in person Windy. It could be a Bilby tower.
PaulV
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

There's a guy pat hunt from second wind windmill who lives in Findlay Ohio.i don't know if he still does it but if not he probably knows someone who does.good luck she's a beauty and i think that is a bilby
steve p

Post by steve p »

Nice mill. Tipp City is just north of Dayton about 25 miles. Been there many times.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Paul, When you go up that way you ought to arrange it so you can take in one of their Tractor and Gas Engine shows. Plain city Oh. East of Dayton about half way to Columbus is in June and the big one in Portland In. is the last weekend in August. I'm going to it. Portland is North of Richmond In. If you go to Portland take some cash they have a huge sale area you never know what you will find.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

You guys need to stop perpetuating that there was a "bilby" windmill tower as there never was one. I provided the research details on the last forum for verification.

This is a trussed tripod tower introduced around 1905 by Aermotor. It was marketed and patented as a trussed tripod tower.

Bilby was the chief signalman for the US C&GS that had Aermotor develop a tower within a tower for surveying in 1926 long after the trussed tripod tower was built.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Ron, maybe start a new thread and repost the research details from the previous forum?
PaulV
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Update.... Duane Miller of Miller's Windmill Service in Middlebury, IN, had agreed to help take this mill down. It will be later this summer though. Hope weather doesn't get to it before I do.
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wow Ron I didn't know that. I just always heard the term Bilby tower, so I just followed suit. Does it bug you hearing the term Bilby tower as much as it does me hearing the word Aer-o-motor?

Good deal Paul!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.