Corcoran windmill

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
JBarker

Re: Corcoran windmill

Post by JBarker »

Sat 28th Jan 1905 VI

Proposition No 2
Furnish and erect at Oyster Bay LI NY on the
Roosevelt property - including -
Tank - to contain 20000 gallons
Gauge for tank
Foundation and anchorage
Tower - 42 ft from ground line to bottom of tank
Pipe and fittings - and the
Old windmill
other material and conditions generally to be as stated in
proposition dated 19th January 1905 (No 1) price to be
twenty-five hundred and eighteen 50/100 dollars - $2518.50

or
Proposition No 3
If you conclude to use the new and larger windmill
with the above outfit I am prepared to furnish and erect
it as proposed in my estimate of the 19th inst and make
same allowance from regular price as quoted therein so
that extra cost to you will be four hundred and sixty-two
dollars - $462.00 -

Very respectfully
ANDREW J. CORCORAN

[by E.D.E. ?]

Hon Theodore Roosevelt
Washington DC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hey Jerry neat stuff!
windybob

Post by windybob »

For sure..
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Vintage ad...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Jekyll Island Georgia:(copied from their webpage)

The water tower and windmill: A Magnet for storms
If you look at vintage photos of the Jekyll Island Club, you may notice a windmill and water tower looming over the compound—a singular sight, taller even than the main buildings. In 1891, the club opted to erect the tower and windmill (a low-tech water pump) to replace leaky water tanks in the club attic. The structures were ordered from A.J. Corcoran in New York, transported to Brunswick by rail, then ferried to the island.

The man charged with assembly was one Torkel “Chips” Torkelson, a Norway native who worked as a ship’s carpenter and was called on for many Jekyll building projects. The structures rose behind the clubhouse annex, to the east. By all accounts they did the job—until they got clobbered by weather. In 1896, club superintendent Ernest Grob wrote to Corcoran that his products performed beautifully, except during cyclones. Then came the 1898 Georgia Hurricane, the strongest storm in state history. After that debacle, which flooded the streets of Brunswick and wrecked newly built Chichota Cottage, Grob dashed off another letter to Corcoran: the windmill had been decimated, and he needed a new one.

As best as can be determined, the second tower and windmill lasted for the next three decades. Then came the tempest of 1928. “Apparently they lost a lot of the beach, and oak trees came down and the windmill was damaged,” Marroquin says. At that point, Torkelson’s handiwork was a wash. The structures were dismantled by the next year.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

US387212-drawings-page-1(1).png
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

JBarker wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:18 am Jekyll Island Georgia:(copied from their webpage
Jekyll Island is a really neat place. We took our family there to celebrated my 70th birthday. My wife and I had the suite where the tower is on the main building on the left in the image. Our bedroom had a spiral staircase running up to the observation platform on the tower. My grandkids had a blast there. My oldest grandson is named A. J. Corcoran. We took a picture of the two of us standing where the Corcoran windmill had once been. Great place to relax on the veranda, sip some bourbon (or in my case Irish whiskey) and puff on a cigar. Several really good restaurants there as well.

JIm
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Letterhead
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Jim, their key lime pie is the BEST !
I worked in the port for many years and always styed at the Jekyll Club, I have stayed in most all the rooms.
Did anyone know the 1st trans America phone call was made from Jekyll Island Alexander Graham Bell himself ?
Todays trivia question.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

mtblah wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:20 pm Jim, their key lime pie is the BEST !
I worked in the port for many years and always styed at the Jekyll Club, I have stayed in most all the rooms.
Did anyone know the 1st trans America phone call was made from Jekyll Island Alexander Graham Bell himself ?
Todays trivia question.
Yes, I did know that. And President Woodrow Wilson was on the call as well.

When we were there last the Crane Cottage had been converted to a fantastic restaurant. For those who don't recognize the name - the next time your in a restroom at a urinal and the name on it is Crane, you'll know where their money came from.

Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."