Corcoran windmill

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Jim Corcoran

Re: Corcoran windmill

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Should one ever be discovered, I believe a more fitting place for it would be the American Windmill Museum in Lubbock. It would be a nice addition to the museum's collection.

Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

My redneck friend Steve Adams is constantly mentioning that to me
Star Zephyr

Post by Star Zephyr »

What did the governor weight look like? Was it an "Eclipse" style/shape or round like on the USWE?
Windcatcher530 Dan

I believe it resembles an eclipse the two mill's were very similar
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

The early literature I have (ca. 1880) show them to be more squared off or brick shaped. Later literature shows them to be round like a hockey puck. Likely to have had the initials "A.J.C." cast into them.
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Star Zephyr

Post by Star Zephyr »

These pictures are of the Corcoran Windmill in Las Cruces NMSU. The weight that they used is just an arm weight. No one there that I talked to seemed to know what it was supposed to be. These pictures were taken earlier this month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Did the County keep the Corcoran or was it sold in the auction?
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

As I understand it, when this windmill was originally recovered it was identified as a Corcoran windmill because one of the weights was a Corcoran weight. Then subsequently that weight disappeared. I have not heard that there is anything else on the mill that may actually identify it as a Corcoran mill. If anyone has any information contradictory to my understanding, I’d greatly appreciate receiving it.

Jim
Windcatcher530 Dan

I was sent pics of what is supposed to be a Corcoran mill that a guy owns and on the main frame was pat. June4 September24 1889
windybob

Post by windybob »

I was reading about Corcoran mills, and was surprised to learn that they were almost identical to Eclipse mills, except built better. How would a guy know which one was what? Everyone built an Eclipse copy, so I guess that would be a real puzzler. Where it was found would be an advantage. Maybe the castings were heavier? Bearings better? Also, they made a bunch of sizes, 8 1/2 ft the smallest, then a 10 and 12 and up from there. Finding one of a size a guy can handle would be as rare as hens' teeth. Seems that the upper east coast region is the best place to look, but where would a guy start? Is there any company literature that says who bought them? What towns they were sold in or around? Family records or info? Is there a Corcoran museum up there anyplace? The book also says that Teddy Roosevelt had bought one for his place up there somewhere. Gee what are the odds it's still there?
Apparently they were sold into the 40's, so they must have sold scads of them. Apparently they were all of the same style, solid wheel wooden.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.