Fixed tail angle?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
pjheim

Fixed tail angle?

Post by pjheim »

Hi, I am in the process of assembling and installing an old Baker Monitor with 8’ blades on four leg tower. I’m a novice, but am getting good help from someone with some experience. Tower is assembled and we are working on attaching blades and tail on the motor.

The windmill is for visual pleasure only (i.e., it will not power a pump or generator). Accordingly, we plan to permanently fix the tail at an angle that will cause the blades to turn but in a way that keeps the motor and blades safe in high winds. I hope that I’ve explained our objectives clear enough. Any insight and advice as to the optimal angle to position the tail to promote the blades turning in gentle winds but will prevent it from turning too fast in high winds that will cause damage. Thanks for you consideration. Paul
Dave Straub

Re: Fixed tail angle?

Post by Dave Straub »

The windmill is self regulating so that winds greater than around 20 mph the wheel will start to furl out of the wind against the vane spring. Move the vane spring IN to the nearest hole in the vane arm. Also you can fix the shut off handle part way so the wheel is 45, plus/minus degrees into the wind. Make sure the brake isn't dragging by doing this.
pjheim

Re: Fixed tail angle?

Post by pjheim »

Many thanks