Black and White windmill shots

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Wayne

Re: Black and White windmill shots

Post by Wayne »

It looks to be an open gear so what is it? I like the picture!
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Wayne, It looks like it might be an Iron Turbine. I can tell that whatever it is that it is on a wooden tower. If that is what it is someone needs to find out where it is now and see if it can be bought. I think there is only about 3 or 4 in the U S and the museum in Lubbock has one. Australia has about a dozen down under.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
JK Windmills (RIP)

Post by JK Windmills (RIP) »

Baseball?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windmillers do it in the air...
JLM

Post by JLM »

Since we were on the topic of mushroom clouds and windmills.I found this pic it was taken at the trinity site.
Base Camp 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

JLM wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:04 pm Since we were on the topic of mushroom clouds and windmills.I found this pic it was taken at the trinity site.Base Camp 1.jpg
was that the before or after pic??? lol
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm thinking that was home base. What is interesting to me being an old engine collector. Is the vertical cylinder gas engine setting on the ground with it's head off. There are also some flywheels setting closer to the tower. There is a beam running from the windmill into a hole in the roof of that building. It looks like it is a walking beam and is pumping something in that building. Very Interesting!
JLM

Post by JLM »

I think that set of gears laying beside the old engine powered the walking beam.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

That' s what I'm thinking. I printed the picture and put it under a magnifying glass. The engine probably quit and they brought in the windmill. That is some tower they put together. My mystery is it looks like to me the fulcrum for the walking beam is backwards.
JLM

Post by JLM »

Many of the old ranches in our area had alamo iron/ or samsco pump jacks with gas engines for back up during the summer months. Like the building in the picture they would have the gas engine in a building and trap door they could run a flat belt through.It looks like to me that is a very old setup probably an old ranch headquaters. I bet their was even part of a old eclipse laying around the tower.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

There hasn't been any activity on this thread for a while so I thought I would toss out a new photo. Don't know a thing about it, I picked it off the net one night looking at photos. What do you gurus think it is? Would look nice on top of my building.