Black and White windmill shots

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Re: Black and White windmill shots

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Your eyes are better than mine! I got it off a Victorian house site and just saw the windmill so I have no idea where it is or was.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Here is a Kansas house that I spent some time in years ago. The windmill shows up at least in the early 90s but I have no idea what it was. You can see it behind the house here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

That almost looks like a school rather than a house. Someone had a pile of money I reckon. Has a basement and everything. The brick and stone work is amazing.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

No, it was a house, there were a dozen or so houses this nice in the little town, sadly, most are gone now. The stone was hauled for 130 miles away so yes, it was a pile of money. The area under the tower was where a dugout was that the first white baby born in that county came to be. You can have it for a bargain today if you want to move. I am glad its so far away or I might do something stupid myself LOL http://www.abilene-rc.com/news/auction- ... cadf4.html
Aermotor Fan

Post by Aermotor Fan »

KRB,

The fancy house with the metal windmill is a Monitor Steel J or H .
Maybe Delavan,Wisconsin
Adam
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Hey Adam, what years were those made, its out of my field? The second big house above is in the early 1890s, I got a picture of it in 1910ish and the windmill was gone then. I suspect they got city water by then?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The model H 12ft 1905, Model J 10ft 1907, Model K 8ft 1910, Model's K and H last two built until 1931. These figures are all from the Bible. Any Ideas the make of the wooden mill behind the house. Thanks for the link asking price $597,000. They did once use it for a school among other things. Impressive to look at and wonderful it is still here to admire today. The story said built in 1880.
Aermotor Fan

Post by Aermotor Fan »

KRB,

From what Wayne said the house could of
been built around 1880's to 1890's.For the house with the Monitor J or H.

Adam
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Monitors were never really that popular in my area, probably see more Ls than metal ones and not many of them. As for the house with the mystery mill, I have an Atlas with a line drawing of the house and carriage shed in 1885 and no windmill is there, of course the guy may not have wanted to draw it and just left it out? The older lady who restored it did it as a retirement project, I don't know how many wheelbarrow loads of pigeon and coon manure she hauled out but it was a bunch. Major labor of love, she was a neat gal. I heard you could buy it for $425,000 and you sure couldn't restore it for that, too bad its in town. There were several just as grand in the country but have all be destroyed.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Corsicana has many old homes that as you drive by you can imagine in there day they were show places. Today they need a lot of TLC. The problem is you spend thousands bringing them back and up your property taxes go.