Parish

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
CTXmiller

Parish

Post by CTXmiller »

I picked up a 8’ Parish that seems complete, but for lacking the side furling vane. I’ve always wanted a Parish, but have never seen one in the wild. This Parish was reportedly taken down sometime ago (20yrs or so). The blue Parish paint is still visible on a few parts. The vane can be faintly read as well.

The fella had it up for sale and we agreed on a price a few months back. However, he had second thoughts and wanted to see about erecting it at his place. He agreed that if he opted to sell it, our prior agreed to price would still stand. Three months later, he reached back out to me and he was ready to part with it.

There are a number of grease zerks on it that need periodic maintenance. By my count, there are eight SealMaster bearings on it, plus the turntable which is a pipe inside of a pipe fitted with a grease fitting. The front main bearing was likely the first to go. It is heavy.

The data tag on it reflects AB 8 and AB 1309277. I can only speculate that A is the model and B is the 8’ wheel diameter. Any insight on the serial/build number? Only guessing it was manufactured in 1977…

I’ve started disassembly and have straighten the blade sections. The blades are flat and held to the bands by a single bolt on each band. This configuration (flat blades and bolts) of the wheel makes for an easy/quick repair.

My plan is to rebuild it, but to likely leave the chain off of it and let it spin on occasions on a shorter tower.

The oilfield pipe tower that came with it appears homemade and heavy enough to accommodate a 12’+ mill. I do not believe this Parish mill was mounted on this tower, but I imagine it was possible.

Edit: no bullet holes in the wheel or vane
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CTXmiller on Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CTXmiller

Re: Parish

Post by CTXmiller »

Couple of more photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Wow nice find. Congratulations 👍
PaulV
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thanks

The internal bearings are a medium duty SealMaster 3-13 (x 4) for the sprockets (or x2 per sprocket) which are contained in a cast iron round bearing cartridge, also a SealMaster product (MSC-19). I happened to break one cast bearing cartridge so I’m listing the part numbers in case anyone else rebuilds one. Had a hard time locating the bearing cartridge part #. The four external bearings are SealMaster NP-21, which were good. These four external bearings have an easier life than the four internal bearings.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Let me know if you find an extra. lol By 1969 they were selling in several states. Early ones had curved sails, but changed to flat somewhat soon. Reading farther, it says that there were 6 ft models, but apparently used the same 8 ft ironwork.

Page 270-271 in the black book.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Couple of more photos.

Since I’ve never seen a Parish before, I therefore hadn’t ever worked on one.

Learned something...
If you happen to press out the bearing cartridge AND bearing from the shaft assembly, you’ve probably (at least I did) made the first mistake. It doesn’t need to be pressed out. I only pressed out one of the four bearing cartridges and bearings.

If you then decide to press the bearing out of the bearing cast cartridge, you’ve (or at least I did) made a bigger mistake and created a small/loud fragmentation event :D when the cast shattered under a press.

I should have cleaned the pressed out bearing cartridge and bearing and I might had seen the proper way to remove the bearing from the bearing cartridge…

As a hobbyists, I’m still learning.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Hmmm. I know that sound well. lol

Why the grease zerks in a permanently greased bearing?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

The internal bearing(s) is set by two set screws to the shaft and the grease zerk lines up (or should hopefully) line up with an intake spot on the outer portion of the bearing 3-13. Eight MasterSeal bearings and eight grease zerks, plus the turn table grease zerk.

Edited above 8/6/21 with photo attached.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I started back on the Parish. These photo are from a while back.

Dan B had made a new main shaft and a side vane for me.

I previously replaced the four main bearings (two on the main shaft/hub and two on the large sprocket). All four of the pillow block bearings were good as those have an easy life with limited/little movement.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

New small chain sprocket, new chain, and a few other parts will be installed.

The hub is designed to slide on/off the main shaft to allow access to the front bearing to grease it as well as to access and adjust the brake and/or access hub bolts. The hub is held in place on the main shaft by two 3/8” set screws as well as the front of the shaft has what I’ll call a profile cut at the end, to interlock with the hub.

More recent photos attached.