Parish Tail Function

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Slim

Parish Tail Function

Post by Slim »

Hey guys I know there is a thread on Parish mills already but this question maybe a little off that topic. All the times I see these Parish mills mentioned its always about one that’s out of service. Does anyone have experience with in service working Parish mills?

It’s a curiously cool design! I could see the chain drive exposed to the elements with no lube being a fast wear item but chains are easy. How about the unique function of the tail vein combined with the break? I understand it’s function but did it do the job pretty well? Overall thoughts on this unique design?
When the 🐍 starts talking it’s time to quit listening!
Slim

Re: Parish Tail Function

Post by Slim »

What nobody has ever dealt with the Parish mill and its tail?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Best I can do currently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Hey man that looks good! Have you ever seen one working in action if so what did you think?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I’m currently rebuilding this one, but have never seen one in actual action.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Well good luck & thanks for your pics. When you get it all in order please post lots of pics!
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

The function of a tail on a windmill is to keep the blades facing into the wind. Best I can remember is the tail on a Parish windmill rotates from vertical to horizontal. When the tail is horizontal it will no longer put the blades into the wind. However, I don't know what keeps it from turning 180 degrees and pumping backwards (tail into the wind).
Slim

Post by Slim »

Bryan that’s what I was wondering. Best I can see is when the tell flips on its side the brake is applied. I think they all had a side sail to assist in the turning out of the wind. It would be very interesting to see a video of one of these doing it’s thing.