What’s A Good Price?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Slim

What’s A Good Price?

Post by Slim »

I’ve been kicking around the idea of trying to get an Aermotor 702 or a Challenge 27 head & fan that’s complete but needs rebuilding etc. I guess because I like doing that kinda stuff.

I’m not up on prices, I’m not a real windmiller so I don’t know much about what’s a good deal vs bad deal. I know there are variables but what’s a general range for complete rebuildable units for these models? Straightening, painting, pouring Babbitt, metal fab are not a problem for me.
When the 🐍 starts talking it’s time to quit listening!
windybob

Re: What’s A Good Price?

Post by windybob »

8 ft Aermotor would probably be the most common. Prices vary a lot. Depending on shape, rebuild, sheet metal, and owner attitude, you could pay anywhere from free to 2 grand for a builder.

Look everywhere, and ask everyone you know where old windmills are. Some folks will let you just get it off the property, some think it's gold plated.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Yeah that’s about what I figured. It seems not a lot of mills left in my part of Texas & when you do find one they seem think it’s solid gold or it seems sometimes they had rather let it set & rot as the vines pull it down instead of parting with it but I understand I’m fond of my junk to😂. I plan to expand my search this fall if time allows.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Winter is a good time, when the leaves fall off the trees exposing towers otherwise unseen.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Old windy one

Post by Old windy one »

About 2 years ago I bought an 8' Aermotor that was on a tower for $1350. The wood tower was too poor to use so I had to build another. The motor was in great shape just a clean up inside and straighten a few things outside on fan, and no leaks! Then earlier this year I bought another 8' Aermotor on the ground with original 25' metal tower. The tower needs a little work and the fan needs to be put together, and now putting a few new parts on the motor. Plus a 10' fan for a Dempster and a few other parts for Aermotor. Was $400 for all of it and just down the road!! So you can see the price swing depending on many things at the time.

Just last night a friend told me he is ready to sell his 8' Aermotor and tower, on the ground, some assembly required. Price to be determined after I look at it he said. :)
Slim

Post by Slim »

Yeah I’m just trying to get an idea as what to expect in all reality I will probably wait until after Christmas to crack open the old rusty wallet. You know after Santa has bled me down I will have to wait to see what I got left!