Looking for assistance in restoring a windmill

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
jhoysradt

Looking for assistance in restoring a windmill

Post by jhoysradt »

I know absolutely nothing about windmills and never thought I would need to. However, I am now in possession of a windmill and I would like to restore it or at least make a monument of it for the town. The windmill was on the property of the last descendant of one of the first families to settle in this area. The family migrated here in 1638.
The contents from the family house and barns were sold at auction. The windmill was the only item that did not sell. The developer that bought the land gave the windmill to me, as it did not want to see it destroyed or thrown away. He had already knocked over the stand for the windmill and scrapped the metal.

So I know I at least need a base. After looking up some of the part numbers on-line, I believe it may be an 8 ft Challenge 27. There is a date on one of the parts of May 10, 1927.

I seriously don’t know where to begin and would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed with the project of restoring the windmill. The blades look rusty, I am not sure if this is expected and they should be left as is, or if they should be sanded and painted.
Can I buy a stand and put it up even if it is not working?
I am located in Massachusetts and it seems most windmill restoration places I have found are in Illinois or Texas.
PXL_20210511_221457961.jpg
PXL_20210630_145319683.jpg
PXL_20210630_144254607.jpg
PXL_20210630_144615569.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Looking for assistance in restoring a windmill

Post by windybob »

That indeed is a Challenge 27. Very tiny chance it's a cousin, or a relative. ( Challenge 26 etc.) However, there are parts available, most towers can be used for it. As long as they are 4 legged .
Great story behind the mill. Also really good that you are interested in making a show-piece out of it.

Rusty fan blades are desireable for many folks, That's called Patina. You also have all the main parts you need on the mill. Neckpipe, storm stay, pump rod etc.

It does not need to be hooked up to a well to work.

If you can take off the helmet, and get a few pics of the inside, we can determine it's a standard 27 or a relative.

Wow. You may be the first person here from Mass. Glad you joined!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Also, 1927 is the first year of release. The ZERO on the snout is because the oil reccomended by Challenge was 0 weight oil, non detergent.

If you get the tail in just the right light, You might see Challenge 27 on it and other info on the other side. There are tricks to bring out the lettering if it's not readable. Also, the C on Challenge would be red, the rest black.
jhoysradt

Post by jhoysradt »

thank you so much Windybob! I will start looking for a 4 legged tower. What would be the shortest height you would recommend? And thanks for the explanation about the oil!
If I wanted to take some of the rust "patina" off, is there a recommended way to do it and anything I can put on to preserve it? Also some of the blades are a little bent, what is the best way to straighten them without damaging them?
windybob

Post by windybob »

You can bend them back by..foot....hand....hammer....pliers. It's kinda like doing bodywork on a steel panel. Mostly by hand, then back it up with a hammer, and use a smaller one on top to flatten out creases, for instance.
You can use a wires brush, a wire wheel with your angle grinder, and sandpaper for rust.

Towers vary in height, short or tall, whatever. 15-20 ft is very common around here. Then you have 30 ft and higher. As long as it does not take off your scalp, like those yard decoration windmills do when you walk under them. lol

You can use a good heavy oil based paint for the sheet metal. ( I use Van Sickle SPAR Aluminum) and I don;'t use primer. Others recommend different ideas.

The cast iron head, and all the levers, parts, and items on the head, and castings, the original paint is very similar to hunter green. That was a standard Challenge color.

On the inside is an oiling system, and if it's going to spin, that system needs to work, or things inside will go bad fast with the lack of lubricant.
jhoysradt

Post by jhoysradt »

Thank you again for all the advice. I appreciate it.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yup.
Old windy one

Post by Old windy one »

That is really serious patina on some of those blades, even looks like a little bit of rust through on a few. That is a lot of work to clean up properly and then to paint. Sand blaster? I would concentrate on the mechanical stuff if it was mine. It looks great like it is! Once you take the patina off it is gone forever!

You could maybe recreate on the tail it's name and model with sort of a ghost style of paint so it does not look like a restoration. Then all would know the name of it.

Towers over 20' can get pretty scary when up on an extension ladder, just ask me. I would go 16'. Just my 2 cents.
jhoysradt

Post by jhoysradt »

Thanks for the advice
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Joan, thank you for rescuing that windmill !
Most of us prefer to have then origional , patina and all. Most of our mills have target pratice holes in the tail and rust is not uncommon.
Find a local body shop person who is willing to help streighten the blades, it is not a difficult repair for a professional . The problem is just finding someone who is willing to help.
Also this forum has some of the best advice givers in the world, the knowledge base is deep and willingness to share .
Mike Blahnik
New Braunfels TX