repair or replace old windmill

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
CLTIves

repair or replace old windmill

Post by CLTIves »

I am on the board of a local land trust here in Connecticut. A few years ago a lady died and left the land trust the family farm. The farm came with a windmill that has not run in decades but is quite iconic in town - everyone knows the Ives Farm windmill. We would like to get it running again and are looking for advice.

We got it off the tower and mostly apart. As you can see it is in pretty tough shape with lots of missing parts. The bearing surfaces are quite pitted as are the gears and it appears from my searching of the internet that parts for these real old mills are kind of hard to come by, and that even when running, they need quite a bit more maintenance than newer windmills. We are now wondering if it would make more sense to buy a new windmill that will require less maintenance and for which parts are available if maintenance is needed in the future.

We are soliciting the thoughts, advice and counsel of all you windmill experts out there !

Thanks very much in advance !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: repair or replace old windmill

Post by mtblah »

Ok guy's, what is it ?

maybe someone would like this old mill in exchange for a newer oil filled mill ?

Mike B
New Braunfels TX
windybob

Post by windybob »

It's an Aermotor. Maybe 1903. Or maybe a RA Model.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

CLTIves, welcome to the site! Glad to have you. You have a mill there that appears to be an Aermotor Windmill. The company started in 1888 I think, and your mill is from 1903. Even though those mills are NOT common, there are parts available for them. Actually, that one you have is more complete than mine, before I restored it.
You are also correct that if a mill is a working mill, an Open Gear mill needs a lot more service than a self-oiling model, which is once or twice a year. Yours is one a month. If it is static, and rarely operates, then the service schedule would be extended. Aermotor designed their first self-oiling model in 1915. There is quite a lot of history with your brand of windmill. Aermotor has been called the Cadillac of windmills. Altho those older models are not Cadillac-type at all. lol
There are pictures available for your model. Some of us here also owns one. Most anything you need for that is available.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Rats! My pictures of mine are my other computer that crashed some time ago. My computer guru supposed to swap all the info onto my new one here soon.

Pictures WILL appear. :D
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy, are you going to be home next week ?
We will be in Kingfisher OK on Tuesday & Wednesday.

Mike Blahnik
New Braunfels TX
windybob

Post by windybob »

Should be. Be glad to see you!
windybob

Post by windybob »

How thick do you like your ribeyes?
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

The gearbox usually does not matter to the common observer. However, the wheel does. On all but the first model of the Aermotor windmill, the blades are all the same. You could buy a new or rebuilt run in oil gear box (model 702 would be the best choice) and the blades would look just like the old one and it would only need to have the oil changed once a year.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I agree with Bryon . For a public setting, KISS , keep it super simple .