602 bull gears

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Mister Ed

602 bull gears

Post by Mister Ed »

Anyone out there have any tricks or favorite procedures to get a set of stuck 602 bull gears apart? I been soaking and heating ... but I cannot get them to turn to pull them apart. And yes I am lifting off the pinions before trying. :roll:
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Re: 602 bull gears

Post by windybob »

That's mostly what I do, is heat, soak, and good hard taps knowing that once you get then out, you will need to dress the outer bearing surface. I also try to hit it where the gears lock to try to get oil to soak in.
It's hard to hold one gear still while trying to pry the other. I don't recommend holding by the teeth or prying by the teeth, try to do that on a more substantial part of the gear. Might turn the gearbox up on one side to let the oil run down between them better. Heat should help draw the oil between them. You will most likely waste the babbitt. I don't know how hot you are getting them, that's always a crap shoot. Not hot enough, no oil penetration. too hot, and you wind up with cracked gears.
See you in the section marked " Mistakes I Made Today".
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

LOL!!! I have an IXL hub/spider that I cracked with heat. :oops: I was trying out the new spray weld torch to build up the brake surface and all of a sudden ... pink ... pop ... poink. And then a few expletives from me.

I did not figure anyone had any magic tricks, but worth asking. I was heating it up pretty good with a rosebud, needs babbit anyway. I filled the entire case with diesel, maybe I'll get a little better penetration with that part of the gears flooded.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

My foibles are a-plenty also. lol

Might also try something thinner than diesel. like parts cleaner maybe. I can't imagine what the inside of those gear hubs look like. I've always gotten them apart.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Mister Ed I've never had that problem here just a thought.make sure your turning them the right way cause I've had that daa dummy I'm turning it the wrong way on different things. Just a thought
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

windybob wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:32 pm
Might also try something thinner than diesel. like parts cleaner maybe. I can't imagine what the inside of those gear hubs look like. I've always gotten them apart.
Keeping them submerged helped. I was able to detect just a little back and forth movement today, once I had a little ... the rest came pretty quick. Initially at least the inside of the hub don't look bad. I think for the most part it was just 10wt oil that had solidified into a hard cake of grease. This one had a mast pipe that was stuck as well that took a bunch of persuasion ... again dried and caked grease/dust/grime.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

Good I'm glad you got it! If there is pits in the hubs, I call those 'oil pockets'. lol