power windmill

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
joe herman

power windmill

Post by joe herman »

This is the power windmill I acquired earlier this summer.
It was mounted on a Flint and Wall
DSCF4184.JPG
DSCF4184.JPG
ing Tower and has a large 9 foot
vane lettered with the above manufacture. The sails all need work
and vane has numerous bullet holes. It is missing the drum that had the
flanges that the wheel arms would mount to.
Does any one have any idea where one could locate a drum that fits this early truck rear end?
There no numbers to give a clue as to what make and year or size truck.
Lettering on the vane indicate is was made for a water company in Calgary, Alberta. Can not
make out the name of the company.
I don`t want to start on this project until a replacement drum is found. Diameter at the outside
of the brake shoes is 12 inches
This is an extremely heavy unit, a 10 foot section of drive shaft is made of 1 and 1/4 inch iron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: power windmill

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Joe that is really neat and ingenious whoever made it. To me it looks like there was a plate that bolted to the housing to cover the bearing.The hub that was on there was fabricated to bolt too the wheel.Thats a heavy rear end if not truck maybe small military .How long do you figure the hub was
Windcatcher530 Dan

Joe here's another idea that makes more sense. They took a model 24 FW hub and welded a brake hub to it and maybe the little front hub too.
20210922_090845.jpg
20210922_090837.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I am going to post a couple more photos.
One of the wheel arm and the other a section of the sails. There 4 sails to each of 6
The drum could be as much as 6 inches deep as the brake shoe is 2 inches and the
spindle is 6 less the threads. They could have welded two different sized ringed plates
to the drum to accept the wheel arms.
Must have taken a bit of engineering to accomplish the working unit,
Windcatcher530 Dan

Okay joe I believe that wheel arm and wheel section is off an open gear Flint and Walling.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I have an open gear Flint and Walling with the hub being numbered 1882.
The arm fits into the hub on the curved end but the straight piece is about
3 inches short and does not appear to have been shortened.
Windcatcher530 Dan

20210923_134649.jpg
. I was thinking this hub from a steel star or model number 7 and I believe model 9. Your hub is off a model 12 or13 or 15
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Yes I have a #12 that was was on a Flint and Walling tower I picked up this spring.
I mounted a Fairbanks Morse WG on the tower and it is up and spinning freely about
15 miles from here,
I would still need the drum to mount the hub on. Either way I am at a stand still.
Lets hope I can come up with something over the winter.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Joe 12inch brake drums are common but open gear Flint and Walling hubs aren't. probably better off finding a 702 hub to fit the shaft and weld the brake drum to that
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Thanks for your suggestions. Lots of time between now and spring and I will keep looking.
Have relatives in Saskatchewan where I lived. They live on old farms with a number of old vehicles
and will contact them. You never know, maybe get lucky. Hope for the best as this will be an
unique mill. I will look into Calgary archives to see if I can put a trace on the water supply
company that is stenciled on the vane.