Goold Shapley & Muir Power Mill

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Goold Shapley & Muir Power Mill

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Ron i believe it was a pull in I sold it to a friend in Wisconsin who has a private collection about two years ago.he promised me when he was done admiring it it would go to a museum.it was stored in a barn since 1915.its in excellent condition except the gears needed work.I'm told it's the only 14ft model 99 power mill in existence.
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Hi everyone, I finished one of my 14ft power mills. I had to set it up outside to see it run before it goes in the barn. I don't have the foot gear yet so for now there's a modern gearbox at the bottom, I needed something there to hold the vertical shaft in place. This windmill is a pull in mill and has a counter balance at the bottom to offset the spring and govern out of the wind. I still have to find a bigger spring for it, the one on it is too weak to shut the mill off. The wheel is all original, spokes and wheel bands were re-galvanized, tail is a reproduction. The second one I have had the two shields and the tail cast parts so I was able to get them recast for this one. According to the parts lists I have, this mill was manufactured in1899. It was a lot of work to restore.
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That's awesome Peter. Totally 100% cool.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Peter
Great job! Are all the GS&M power mills what I would call a post mount?

Nice ballast on the stub base...How ya moving it inside? I assume you are taking it in flat as not many barn doors that tall? Big mills are so unwieldy to move as they go where they want to and the fan blades crumple easily with that much weight force behind any movement if they catch

Have you eyed up that cement stave yet to see how many mills you could get in it?

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Ron, in the parts list they show both tower and post mount so I guess you could get it either way.

I took half the wheel back off, I made the base so I can pick the mill up with the forks on the tractor. The tail was higher so I tipped the mill forwarded to lower the tail to get it in the door. I had about 2 inches to spare on top of the gearbox.
The big silo is 20ft diameter but it would be hard to get them in the door. :lol:
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Peter
i really think a post mount power mill on the side of the cement stave with a shaft running down to power the ensilage cutter/blower would be totally cool...

The two story part of the barn has an interesting mix of pole rafters, hand hewn beams and sawmill material. That would probably date it at over 100 and maybe the sawn timbers were a vertical mill before circular? I can see where the gutter cleaner was so it must have been part of the milking area also?

Ron
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Peter, really nice!!

Do me a favor and take some close ups of the post mount brackets. I thought I was getting a set for my Star 12, But apparently not ... so ... I have have a notion to make something up.
Thanks,
Ed
Peter vk

Post by Peter vk »

Ed, I will get you some pics today
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Nice work Peter. Thanks for posting. I sure enjoyed it.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Great! One I had never seen before. Y'all have some neat stuff in Canada.