Missing sail

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
JBarker

Missing sail

Post by JBarker »

Would it be easier to take the one wheel section off from a lift or lower the whole gear box motor to the ground to add missing sail too? B602. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
windybob

Re: Missing sail

Post by windybob »

If you take a section out, remember it will be off balance.....If you take it out on the bottom, it will spin around. If you take it out on the side, it will spin around. Of course, everyone knows that, but when you're up there, dealing with it, and the wind, and everything else, you forget things sometimes. I have a slight scar from my forehead down over my eye, and halfway down my cheek. I know a thing or two, because I've done a thing or two. Haha. just like the commercial.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Good advice Windy
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Looks like it's on the end of a section. Could you just replace the sail without removing the section... using bolts on the clips? Then again, probably not much more work to just remove the section and easier to work at ground level.
PaulV
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Remember than when you open the outer band, you'll be having to pull it back together when the sail is replaced. If the wheel is sprung, you will have your hands full. Can your lift carry the weight of a B702 ? Mine carry's an A702 without any strain when i have the jib arm on instead of the basket/cage thing.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:26 pm Remember than when you open the outer band, you'll be having to pull it back together when the sail is replaced. If the wheel is sprung, you will have your hands full. Can your lift carry the weight of a B702 ? Mine carry's an A702 without any strain when i have the jib arm on instead of the basket/cage thing.
Bill,

While on the man lift, can I use a strap or come along to hold the wheel in place to remove the section with missing sail from the lift ok?
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I would certainly go for removing the section only. It seems from the ground anyway that would be the easiest way to attack it, But I have thought my idea was the easiest way to attack something before and then get into it and find out I've got an alligator on my butt. Yes to your question.
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

I would strap the wheel to the tower instead of the lift because I would want to cruise around to access the section fasteners. You could strap the section to be removed to the lift as long as you can slowly pull away when it's free. This section at the top, of course.

Or were you thinking of doing the entire repair up 'there' ? I still would not strap the lift to the wheel in case the hydraulics drift or leak down a fraction while you do the work. That could bend or break some parts.

Just make sure you have all the tools you need to remove one end of the wheel section [ wrenches, drift, strap come-a-long, and paint of some sort. Heck, you might even want to touch up the lettering while you are in the clouds.