Tower top adaption

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
CTXmiller

Tower top adaption

Post by CTXmiller »

Saw this for sale on eBay listed as a complete Aermotor for which the tower top/turntable was unique. Looks possibly like a Samson/Stover tower(?) adapted to an Aermotor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JeffreyMead1701

Re: Tower top adaption

Post by JeffreyMead1701 »

The tower could be a Stover, or possibly a Woodmanse (closely-spaced girts at the top make me wonder), although it looks like the oiling platform has been altered/replaced, because both Stover's and Woodmanse's platforms were round. In any case, that tower cap is definitely NOT for an Aermotor. I've seen many ads on ebay and Craigslist that were clearly not Aermotors...most likely the seller doesn't really know what they have, but have heard of Aermotor, so they just assume. Are there any pictures of the mill, itself? Was it mounted on the tower?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Correct. Not Aermotor. How about a generator base? Are those wires hanging out the top?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Not sure, just happened to see the ad on eBay and noted the unique turntable. No pics of the mill. Here are a few more pics of the tower/ad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JeffreyMead1701

Post by JeffreyMead1701 »

I asked the seller if they have any pictures of the "Aermotor", and stated that the tower is NOT an Aermotor tower. They also have an auction for "Windmill Vane and Tailbone Assembly Antique SAMSON", which actually IS a Samson Air-Flow vane and vane stem, and another for what they're calling "Windmill vane and tailbone for antique Monitor", but the "tailbone" is just a single hollow tube, and the vane doesn't have the swallow-tail shape that Monitor tails had, so I suspect it's not actually what they're advertising it as.

eBay is "fun". ;P
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm thinking $3000 opening bid seems realllly high.