V-47 Vestas Wind Turbine

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Wayne

Re: V-47 Vestas Wind Turbine

Post by Wayne »

Thanks for the info about the safety harness. I had in my mind once that rather than a ladder it was spiral stairs!
TipTop

Post by TipTop »

I have tried to reply several times to reply to wayne, but when i use the shift key, i lose what has been typed. yes, 46 or 47 mph at that time wayne. designed to shut down at 60 mph. all for tonight.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

All I can say is WOW! Something that big spinning up in the air in a 47 MPH wind. Quite an engineering feat!
TipTop

Post by TipTop »

It's been a long time since I ventured to this group, and I have missed the mostly unaware friendship. Wayne, yes at 47 mph it would produce 4 megawatt and was designed to shut down in a 60 mph wind. It was a tremendous thrill for me. On the initial start-up, there was a issue where a hydraulic pump tripped a breaker and stopped the start up which startled Bill and made me think "Well, where would I rather "go" from than inside the World's largest wind turbine?"
Remember, that was 1980 technology running DOS operating system. The elevator couldn't be used with the turbine running as it could shake the elevator off it's track. JP