Woodmanse

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
andresfrb

Woodmanse

Post by andresfrb »

Hello, i bought a farm and there wer an old windmill, a guy desambled it and it is branded WOODMANSE MFG CO. SN.4551.

Some one know what model it is??

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Woodmanse

Post by windybob »

Need to do some checking. If you can post a picture of the head by itself that would help.

A Woodmannse is usually not double geared, however this one is. Will check the book tomorrow.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
andresfrb

Post by andresfrb »

Thanks alto, I'll get some pictures by Friday night.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Are you from South America? Colombia? Is that right?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Could it be an Air Master, but w/ a different vane?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Don't know. Really need to review the book. I try to not go with tail-swapping unless I need to. Not really that common. I'm sure that whatever mill was an actual woodmanse double gear, that's it.... because there were'nt that many models with that set-up. I just need to see which one it is.
MAS

Post by MAS »

I am thinking Air Master but the vane?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Will see tomorrow.
Challenge 27

Post by Challenge 27 »

With regards to the vane . . . during the last few years before ceasing making windmills, the Woodmanse company completely redesigned the vane. This was at about the same time that the Woodmanse company contracted with Fairbanks, Morse, and Company to manufacture windmills. The differences between the "Woodmanse Model 45" or the "Fairbanks, Morse, and Company Model 45" (also sold as the "Eclipse Model 45") were cosmetic. The vane stem was different, but not the vane sheet, except for the lettering on it. The hoods differed slightly also. The hood of the Fairbanks, Morse version was referred to as the "mailbox hood" because of its different profile. The vane of the Woodmanse 45 differed from previous Woodmanse windmills as well. See pages 336-337 of the Field Guide.

During the 1930's Woodmanse made a windmill called the "New Eclipse" for Fairbanks, Morse. In this version both the wheel and vane differed in design from the "Woodmanse Oilbath." This ended in the 1930's; after which Woodmanse never another windmill for Fairbanks, Morse, until it got the above mentioned contract. See pages 222-223 of the Field Guide.

These windmills are rare indeed. I could count the versions of any one of these versions I have seen on the fingers of one hand . . . except for one thing. During my years at the University at Missouri 1994-1996 I found 3 of these. Almost positive the same man owned all three. The differences were minor, but no two of them were alike. Might need to use the fingers of both hands for one of these versions.

I asked T. Lindsay himself about this, and showed him my pix; and he told me that he had seen several other versions. He also said almost no information from the period is available and what there is, is full of contradictions. He is uncertain himself of what was going on during that period.

Challenge 27
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks Walter. That's what I was going to check on today, but you got it first. Didn't know they were that rare.