Dempster 12a

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
JEG

Re: Dempster 12a

Post by JEG »

I’m sure they had good intentions.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Getting ready to tear into this #12 this weekend.

Any last minute advice from all you Dempster experts before I make any big mistakes????

Also, would you recommend painting the lettering on the tail over the rust????

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yeah. Clean it well. I use Acetone. It doesn't leave a film and it's amazing most of the time it won't take the old lettering off. Try a small area first.
JEG

Post by JEG »

Looks like a nice project Jerry. I’m getting closer to assembling mine but work keeps getting in the way
windybob

Post by windybob »

Take notes if you haven't done a Dempster before. Even though they are related to the regular #12, they are sufficiently different to really pay attention. Remember, Dempster paid their engineers by the part.

Yes, re-letter the tail.

What, no ribs in the wheel sails? That's an oldie. I figured by the time they brought those out, they were ribbing the sails.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JEG

Post by JEG »

My uncle in Iowa bought a place with this Dempster on it. Had my nephew take some drone pics for me. Looks like 1931 on the tail. Looks like a 35 to 40ft tower. Wonder how many years it took the vines to get to the top
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Nice pictures. Too bad about the vines. I've seen mills like that on occasion. I even cleaned a tower like that when it was layed down. No fun!
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:43 pm Take notes if you haven't done a Dempster before. Even though they are related to the regular #12, they are sufficiently different to really pay attention. Remember, Dempster paid their engineers by the part.

Yes, re-letter the tail.

What, no ribs in the wheel sails? That's an oldie. I figured by the time they brought those out, they were ribbing the sails.
Backside of sails
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

It's amazing the difference in the galvanizing between company's. I'd bet if you found an Aermotor of the same age the blades would be almost like when they left the factory. The windmill with the vines it must not spin as no blades are torn off.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sorry. I thought it was a 12-A. Got it confused with a different post. I guess it's the title of the thread that confused me.

Every time I see patina like that, I think of Randy.

Wayne, you are right about the galvanizing. Just think, that company over in Indiana even used aluminum in their mixture.