Dempster 12a

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
JEG

Dempster 12a

Post by JEG »

Hello from the upper left coast. Last sept I purchased a standing 8ft Dempster 12a in eastern Nebraska , between Wakefield and Pender. It is in very nice shape, no rust under the hood, blades straight, minimum bullet holes. Just taking it apart giving it a good cleaning and new bearings. This is my first mill and I am getting a lot of good info from this forum. THANKS. A couple questions, what do you use to replace packing on the hood? The end of the blades are crimped, when did they start/stop doing that? Also on the side of the case it has a line and says oil level but it is upside down. Is this normal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Dempster 12a

Post by windybob »

Dang! I never saw an upside down level indicator! LOL It holds 2 quarts. That's usually enough to go halfway up the big gear to the center shaft.

I use some kind of rope for helmet gaskets on these.

Dempster started crimping the blades I'm thinking in the 20's or 30's. The 12-A I think was made in the 30's or 40's for a while. I don't have my book here though. I do know that on very early Dempster wheels, the blades are not crimped. I have see 6 footers both ways.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JEG

Post by JEG »

You mean I got a one of a kind, $2000000 I can retire on unicorn dempster12a 😳? Thanks for the info!!
Smax

Post by Smax »

Unicorn 12a lol😀😀😀 it is unique keep us posted on progress welcome to the group
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Maybe the foundry worker had to much to drink the night before and didn't know up from down.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You are way up there. I'm planning a trip to Eastern Wa come Sept. Want to go the museums at Pomeroy, Walla Walla and any others I can find in the area. Then over to my daughters close to Bend Or. I've been to the one at Walla Walla once many moons ago.
JEG

Post by JEG »

That’s what I thought, made Friday afternoon or Monday morning. Used to drive truck through that area, some nice towns just no time to stop and explore. That’s about a 7-8 hour drive from here on the other side of the mountains. I’m closer to Vancouver BC then Seattle
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The museum at Walla Walla had a complete wood hillside combine set up, with 40 fiber glass mules all harnessed up. Really something!
JEG

Post by JEG »

Another question about the oil level indicator, is that the normal location behind tail pin?
windybob

Post by windybob »

yep. Real handy ain't it...
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.