Elgin identity

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
sandhillmills

Re: Elgin identity

Post by sandhillmills »

KRB, I kind of ran two questions together. I've collected mills and weights for 40 years, and I've never seen the rectangular weight box for the Model E. Early Elgin mills are quite rare here in NE Colorado. My second question is about the photo of the Nichols mill. Is that the governor weight that appears just above the platform?
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I don't think early Elgins are really common anyplace but they do show up here in historic photos often. Here is a photo of a mill at Lubbock with the board and weight below the platform but it gives you a better idea of what was going on, I can take a pic of the casting inside the tower for you but its a muddy mess right now outside. Elgin sure had some interesting ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

That's what my weight looks like. It has the dots from punching the tower holes in it.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I understand now that weight box I was thinking of the one on the pull out mechanism. Yeah my E has the round one with the chicken on top.