Elgin identity

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Elgin identity

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I was sitting hear eating supper and enjoying some of the Custer Co. Nebr. Photos by Mr. Butcher when I came across this photo with a rooster sporting windmill. I have a hodge podge of Elgin stuff but not any #1 parts that I am aware of. However, I am wondering if this is a #1 and I am also wondering what weight that is? Elgins are among my favorite mills but early information is scarce and what weights went on what mills in the early years is confusing at best. Someone please enlighten me. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sandhillmills

Re: Elgin identity

Post by sandhillmills »

"Windmill Weights" by Rick Nidey and Don Lawrence may reference this very picture. If this is photo no. 675 of the Solomon Butcher photo collection, with enlargement it has Nichols Mill on the beam. Don told me that there were similarities between the Nichols and Elgin mills. This mill used the Barnicle Eye Rooster. Maybe someone more knowledgable than I can weigh in on relationship between Nichols and Elgin. If memory serves me, I believe he called this the Nichols Centennial mill.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Thanks Sandhillmills, I just got out Dr. Baker's book. Interesting read about the companies that made this mill. You must have had a higher resolution photo to blow up than I did because I sure can't make anything out from when I enlarged it? Does anyone have a photo of drawing of this mill's working parts? I am trying to understand the similarities and differences between the early Elgin mills. Thanks again.
Les Jacox

Post by Les Jacox »

Here are 3 photos from our Solomon Butcher book. This has "NICHOLS MILL PAT'D AP? ?????" on the tail beam.
Nichols Mill.jpg
Next is a Halladay Standard
Halladay Standard.jpg
And the last one is the Flint and Walling Star Mill
F&W Star Mill.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Les Jacox
Garland, NE
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Rust Buzzard, Do you have any history on the Elgin Model E run in oil mill?
Kansas Rust Buzzard

I don't really have any history, a have a couple. Looks like a complicated spider hub to cast and finish to me but a lot of Elgin stuff seem over engineered. I am probably eventually going to put one outside over a well but I would like to find a repro of the rectangle weight box because I get tired of people saying it looks like a cobbled up L.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Elgin has always been at the fore-front of engineering. That's why they were first at making a self-oiling mill. They were engineering maniacs. lol Just look at the Tip-Top and others that were before the self oiler.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The model E that runs in oil was before the Wonder. Rust Buzzard you say your weight box is rectangle mine is a round cylinder about the size of a 16lb shot put. When I was painting my E to put up I got together all the loose pieces and counted them. There were 64. So I took them to a guy who does powder coating and asked him how much. He said $2.00 a piece I couldn't say yes fast enough.
sandhillmills

Post by sandhillmills »

KRB, are you talking about the rectangular weight box that the small Hummer rooster sets in? In the photo of the Nichols mill, there appears to be a hanging weight just above the platform. Does anyone have a better photo of it? Thanks, Ron
Kansas Rust Buzzard

lamar_hummerWeight900x675.jpg
Sahillmills, I was talking about the model E I am wanting to put up, here is a pic of the box I would like for it. I shamelessly stole this from the old forum so sorry to whoever it belongs to. I think I have seen it on two or three Es but most had the ball like the F and L.