Turbine Windmills Article

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Kevin

Turbine Windmills Article

Post by Kevin »

The Windmill Journal (Australia and New Zealand) just published (March 2020) an outstanding article on early “Turbine Windmills” sometimes called “Horizontal Windmills”
The article includes information on the Dexter / Southwick windmills in both the US and Australia with numerous photos and illustrations. The latest article on this subject was written by Cliff Jennings of Highland, MD follows up on past information published in the Windmill Journal.
In 1868 the California based windmill manufacture Albert Southwick, patented his first complex self-regulating windmill. This style windmill could be found all over the world but original windmills cannot be found and very few reproduction have been made.
I encourage you to subscribe and contact them for a copy of this issue. http://users.chariot.net.au/~hdpump/default.htm
Southwick.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: Turbine Windmills Article

Post by Wayne »

Ditto to subscribing. One of the best $20 i spend during the year. It's going to be a real victory if they get the one restored there working on down under. Since many were sold in the Kansas and Nebraska area I wonder how many pieces of iron may have been found that nobody had any idea what it was for.
HelenW

Post by HelenW »

G'day to all the US subscribers to the Windmill Journal of Australia & New Zealand. Our 20th Anniversary issue is about to be published (a little late - sorry!) and it features an article on the completed restored Turbine Windmill project.
The web address for the Windmill Journal has also recently changed, it can now be found at:
http://windmilljournal.org.au/
Best wishes to all,
Helen Walter - co-editor
The Windmill Journal of Australia & New Zealand
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

G'day to you Helen. I will be waiting with great anticipation for my copy. Take Care Wayne
Todd

Post by Todd »

I also recommend subscribing to this newsletter, Helen does a great job with it!
HelenW

Post by HelenW »

Thanks for your kind words Kevin, Wayne & Todd. Windmill Journals were posted out to subscribers from Western Australia on Friday 13th May - hope that's not an unlucky omen... and that they reach you all in less than a month!