Aermotor RA

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Aermotor RA

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

OK, since we need to get some new discussion going on this board, how about we ponder the RA. I got a fairly complete 8ft I am needing to rebuild. On the old forum I had mentioned this and and people thought it should have the iron work painted black. I didn't ask about the vane inscription so I assume it was black also or was it red? The vane that came on it was the swallow style but you can't really see any paint, it looks like it must have had a target painted on it considering all the holes. Was that the only vane it could have had? I wish it could have had the 502 style just because I think it is neat, LOL. Anyone else have anything to add about RAs? They are exceedingly rare in my area but the rotating babbit seems to be a great solution for the time and I think its a nice mill for the collector. Thanks
gregguy

Re: Aermotor RA

Post by gregguy »

Just now reworking a 1903 RA that had a very hard life. Tail good, blades perfect.
What is rotating babbit?
Need a crank pin #23 I think.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Just got done doing a 1903 model myself. Rotating babbitt refers to the RA model. Take out the babbitted arm, rotate it for a new surface, and get more wear.

I'm pretty sure I made a crank pin for mine, I don't remember it having Left handed threads, so I could fashion one from a large bolt. However I'm not really positive because I was in the middle of doing others also. Guess I will check on it over the weekend to refresh my memory. I do know that the original Steel Star i did had a L.H. threaded one. That's why I don't have one for it yet.

Hey Gregguy, wait till you understand the tail furling action. It is totally backwards of other CW turning mills. Good thing they changed it in 1915, otherwise to this day we would have bass-ackwards Aermotors.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

I just posted on the wanted thread ... yep left hand thread.

And Gregguy, if your main casting says A2 on it, its not actually an RA model.The RA stands for "Removable arms". On those you could unbolt the two cast iron projections that hold the bearings and rotate them ... this would then put unworn bearing material on the bottom. On the A2 Castings ... the iron was all one piece and the babbitt bearing pushed into the cast iron "tubes". That probably doesn't make sense ... even though it does to me, LOL. I'll see if I can find a pic.
Thanks,
Ed
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Aaron - When I did mine ... everyone seamed to have a different opinion on black vs red paint scheme. Same for swallow tail vs straight vane. Mine is the A2 main frame casting ... so older? I guess I need to check the book.

I went with straight vane (since I just re-skinned a vane I had) and red (currently looks like some guy named Bob painted it ... pink :shock: ). I wish I would have went black and the swallow tail would have been cool.
Thanks,
Ed
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Here is an interesting piece of literature. I am not sure who sent me this. Right or wrong, I have it titled 1908 Aermotor catalog.

Aaron - Do you see anything interesting with the vane? I have a different piece that I copied from a website ... it does not show swallow tail vane at all.

Gregguy - Bottom right shows the RA (removable arm) version of this model.
Aermotor Catalog 1908 001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Ed
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I think I will go with black, one thing about yours, its easier to go black over pink than red over black! You know, rumor has it that Bob used to work at Warner Bros......LOL

Ed, you got me wondering so I just went out in the cold to look at mine, the main casting what appears to be A02. I think its an A, it really almost looks like a 4 but a 402 would make it predate the rotating babbit so it must be an A? Now if it was a 1905 model RA I believe it would have the number A402 but there are only three charactors with a rotating snout so I am kind of confused? Someone smarter than me will hopefully straighten out my confusion, Thanks
windybob

Post by windybob »

I will have you know that I have never use pink. nevah nevah nevah. Maybe lime green, safety orange, or sky blue. But never pink. Who in their right mind would use pink on a windmill?? :lol:
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks,
Ed
gregguy

Post by gregguy »

For the good of the order and clarity my mill has removable arms, so I guess that makes it an "1903 RA"
I think I'm going with black.
Never thought of rotating a bearing for wear............thanks