Removing vane lettering

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
windybob

Re: Removing vane lettering

Post by windybob »

Check the library for old newspapers for business ads, or the chamber of commerce for business history.

Oh, be careful what you give away. Might come in handy one day...
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Wayne wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 am I found a pre 1897 Aermotor tower that had JW D. and Son Corsicana Texas inside one leg. I'd give my left nut to know who JW D. was since I live in Corsicana. Have searched everything I can put my hands on but no luck so far.

Wayne,

If you haven't already, check out the Sandborn Insurance Maps at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanborn ... cana+texas

Also, check with your local and State Historical Society for the Corsicana City Directories.

Another route would be the U.S. Census records.

I do a lot of historical research and they are all great sources in their own ways. (by the way, if this leads to any answers for you, please feel free to keep your left nut...like it was said previously, it might come in handy one day)

Burt
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

hwy8 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:10 pm .... by the way, if this leads to any answers for you, please feel free to keep your left nut...like it was said previously, it might come in handy one day ....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks,
Ed
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Mister Ed wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:47 pm Hi all, Before I go spending $$ trying to find the best product to remove original vane lettering, anyone have a favorite tonic? Just regular old paint stripper?

I've been an antique dealer a good chunk of my life and have run into many "unique" problems during restorations. An item being painted was always a pain because most of the time, it meant that whatever was beneath it came off with the topcoat and that created at best, an unprofessional looking fix. A very advanced toy-collector taught me something that really changed things; he uses automotive brake fluid as a solvent. Some kid in the 1920's or 30's would slap a coat of paint on his tin truck and the years would bake it on. My friend would soak the toy in a vat of regular brake fluid and then check on it every day or two. It acts so slowly that he was able to watch the "new" paint disappear. If needed, he would help the process along with a soft brush. I didn't believe how well it works until he showed me. What was really remarkable is that he was even able to preserve the decals that had been painted over! For a delicate job, it works great. But don't get me wrong, I still screw up plenty of stuff. The other day I sprayed some degreaser onto a really grimy Champion pump jack. I couldn't tell there was paint beneath that hard, waxy coating so I was thrilled to see a really nice green paint with a red baseplate and red highlights on the lettering. I decided I should really make it look good with a light touch of my pressure washer and in a few seconds, that ENTIRE factory-paint-job melted and went down the drain! It's clean and bare now, and I will do a good a job of painting, but it sure won't look like it did when it came from the Champion factory!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've been able to look at old Corsicane directories back to 1898 so far no JW. D. And son. Since I don't have his complete last name wouldn't know where to start with the census. Found a well driller but his last name didn't start with D. Know a company Merrit Drane and son here in Corsicana who sold windmills but the JW. doesn't match. So he stays a mystery. Doing dumb things while restoring stuff I've been there In 1988 bought my first gas engine driving a Meadows Grist Mill. It had been sold by IHC and had a decal on it. I took some pictures but this was before digital camera's. After developing film picture wasn't very good but I had already painted over the decal thinking I could find another. Haven't seen that decal on anything else.