Removing vane lettering

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Mister Ed

Removing vane lettering

Post by Mister Ed »

Hi all, Before I go spending $$ trying to find the best product to remove original vane lettering, anyone have a favorite tonic? Just regular old paint stripper?

I wouldn't normally do this but I have some lettering on a F&W Star 12 vane and I would really like to have the Orange & Blue star. Maybe we'll have to recreate that "Star color" discussion over here, LOL.
Thanks,
Ed
Kenneth

Re: Removing vane lettering

Post by Kenneth »

Mister Ed. I have used regular paint stripper on galvanized without
issue. I don't see why not.

Kenneth
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Thanks Kenneth. I didn't think it would mess with the galv. I'll see if I can get some of the old school (strong) stuff. To me, that black letter is more like an ink than what we think of as paint today.
Thanks,
Ed
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I had a vane that someone had painted over on one side. I used a spray on stripper got the paint off but didn't touch the lettering under it. Which I was glad about. It might have removed the old lettering if I had sprayed direct over it but I didn't want it gone. I don't think there is a stripper on the open market that would remove galvanizing. Only time and the elements. I will mention a paint remover for small areas and the best part is it doesn't smell. Finger nail polish remover. For a small area cotton ball and finger nail polish remover works great.
Great for removing paint from your hands and fingers too.
windybob

Post by windybob »

You guys are performing a sacrelige by removing original lettering! lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Wayne wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:10 am
Finger nail polish remover.
For a small area cotton ball and finger nail polish remover works great.
Great for removing paint from your hands and fingers too.
Acetone from the lumber yard in 1 gallon cans is the same thing and a lot cheaper.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

pcowley wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:35 pm Acetone from the lumber yard in 1 gallon cans is the same thing and a lot cheaper.
Paul is absolutely correct.
windybob wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:05 pm You guys are performing a sacrelige by removing original lettering! lol
Yeah but ... that orange & blue Star looks a bunch cooler than ... "Briggs Pump Co Omaha" in black.
Thanks,
Ed
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I agree with Windy. I know I have found a real treasure if I find a vane with the name of the outfit that sold it. I've often wished we had a thread with people listing all the names they have found on vanes.
Dave Straub

Post by Dave Straub »

Almost every small town in America that had a hardware store, lumberyard, plumbing shop, well driller, Implement dealer, etc, etc, would have a dealership to purchase an Aermotor windmill. The dealer would contact Chicago and the windmill parts were bundled with like items such as legs, girts, vane and were stamped with the dealers name and address on one piece of the bundle. Then shipped by train to the dealer. Many of these towns today are no longer incorporated and have dried up with buildings falling down and a few with no evidence of a town existing there.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I found a pre 1897 Aermotor tower that had JW D. and Son Corsicana Texas inside one leg. I'd give my left nut to know who JW D. was since I live in Corsicana. Have searched everything I can put my hands on but no luck so far.