Aermotor mast straightening

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
billcobb

Re: Aermotor mast straightening

Post by billcobb »

Throw it in a charcoal barbecue pit to heat it red. Then collar it with a larger pipe and bend it perpendicular to the base. Use a leaf blower to increase the heat ala forge style.

The key requirement is that the mast pipe needs to eyeball the center of the tower at the base, assuming that the base is level bilaterally. I drop a plumb bob from the top to the base as a check.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can still buy a new part from Aermotor right away.
bobceng

Post by bobceng »

Aermotor Co.'s mast is welded to the base, but there is a new one on Ebay that is threaded, $156.00 plus shipping. I am going to Ace welding in Traverse City tomorrow to get a price to straighten mine. If it is reasonable, I'll go ahead and have them do it. They straightened one for a guy in Lake Leelanau near me. I wonder if you can do one of those mag tests for cracks like they do for engine blocks. The mast cup supposed to be removable, so that should expose the critical area for inspection. My ideal solution is to replace the mast, but my budget says hold off until Spring, and see if this one can be salvaged. I wouldn't even try if the bend was worse, but looking at it tonight, it might be 3/8" max., mast cup to tip.
bobceng

Post by bobceng »

If my wife comes home and sees me playing ye olde village smithy stoking up the hibachi with our leaf blower, she's liable to pull the plug on my whole operation! I just recently managed to convince her that climbing a rusty 30 foot tower at 67 years old was an OK idea...
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

You really only rent wives (just like beer). I've spent plenty of time in Traverse Bay and The Homestead. There are plenty of candidate wives around there with torches, welders, angle iron cutters, and refrigerators.

Windmills, on the other hand, are kinda rare. That's why I have saved 12 so far on my property. That makes me a Windmill Mormon.

At 72, I've switched to a JLG Boomlift because some a few of my salvages involved riveters that flunked out of night school.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

bobceng wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:27 pm If my wife comes home and sees me playing ye olde village smithy stoking up the hibachi with our leaf blower, she's liable to pull the plug on my whole operation! I just recently managed to convince her that climbing a rusty 30 foot tower at 67 years old was an OK idea...
Try it at 71. My wife made me hide money in Ron's truck as a thank you for keeping me off our tower
bobceng

Post by bobceng »

I think I struck a nerve...may I live as long as my windmill is old, and be in half as good shape!

Of course, I can buy new parts for the MILL online!
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

To clarify,

bobceng said
Aermotor Co.'s mast is welded to the base, but there is a new one on Ebay that is threaded,
Even tho labeled in the ad as Aermotor, it is not genuine Aermotor. Aermotor does NOT have a steel base or welding. The threaded bare stem is not genuine Aermotor either. With the popularity of the Aermotor brand and long expired patents, there are clones from 2 US rebuilders, Mexico, China and two in Argentina. So the Aermotor name gets loosely and sometimes flagrantly used.

Wrenching on the base shoulder and long cheaters negates breakage, saves time and is safer.

That bend is "a lot" but if they can check for cracks after straightening, go for it First, put a straight edge on the stem to look for wear. The most wear is at the very bottom & top as the center of the case has an enlarged area in the middle for collecting oil to lube the stem so there in no wear there.

Ron
bobceng

Post by bobceng »

Hi, Ron. I don't know WHO the real Aermotor is these days; it seems like several people are claiming that they are genuine, and all the other guys (even the people in Texas) are not.

My local machine shop has my mast, and will use heat and pressure to try straightening it.This will cost me $30, and is worth the gamble to me. At the worst, I found a new mast on EBay that has a threaded end, mast cup and washer; I will then remove my end casting and thread it on.

Do you know if an existing mast cup can be removed? If so, I will be able to try inspecting the shaft when it comes back. I know what a new cup looks like, and it seems like it should be removable with some careful effort.
spring hill bill

Post by spring hill bill »

I had a bent one straightened by my auto mechanic. I took it to his shop to get his opinion, and he dragged it out of the truck and put heat on the bend. Had it straight before we had much chance to discuss it. He had a good time working on a windmill rather than cars and trucks, and didn't even charge my for the job. It took longer for the mast to cool down enough to load back into the truck that it did to straighten it.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

The cup is removable if you have a Chicago Aermotor era mast pipe. I would remove before straightening and if the shop can check for cracks, do there. When you remove the cup, evidence of wear becomes much more noticeable. Most all new masts are steel and welded

So this is genuine Aermotor and everything else isnt. If you see the words "style" or "type" used with Aermotor or 702, then it is a clone.

Aermotor Windmill Company is an American Owned and Operated company located in San Angelo, Texas.

Please don't hesitate to call or email us with any questions you may have.

Visit Us:
4277 Dan Hanks Lane, San Angelo, TX 76904
www.aermotorwindmill.com

Call Us:
Sales: 800-854-1656
Office: 325-651-4951
Fax: 325-651-4948

Mail Us:
PO Box 5110, San Angelo, TX 76902