Weigh Station

Dave Straub

Weigh Station

Post by Dave Straub »

Nebraska is a great State, but like every state some of it's laws are inconsistent with other states. Between Nebraska City and Syracuse on hwy 2 is a weigh station. It has "in motion weighing". Nebraska law states that Pickups with trailers must pull in. The hwy. signs near the station say so. It's not clear if it means loaded or not loaded. I don't know of anyone that has been picked up for violating this law. I have run my Pickup with trailer empty by with no problems. But if you drive by with a trailer load of windmill junk sticking out all over they might be licking their lips cause you're fair game. There is a way around.

They are still looking for Ron Stauffer. An Otoe Couty sherriff driving 160 mph couldn't keep up with Ron's diesel powered boom truck doing 170 mph when he crossed the Missouri river bridge into Iowa and escaped.
He He.
Mister Ed

Re: Weigh Station

Post by Mister Ed »

Oh gosh, I forgot about the odd weigh station laws out there. Sounds like they haven't change in the 30 years since I lived there.
Thanks,
Ed
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

So are Farmer's exempt from that? The nice thing about Chevys are you can still stick the magnetic sign on the door with your FARM logo, sorry Ford people. ;-) I guess I could put my utility company hardhat on and drive the bucket truck, might cost a little but that would probable sneak past also?
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Dave
Dont pick on me when I am not at home base to defend myself!

That weigh station is kept too cool in summer, too warm in winter and there are no chase cars. So no worries. Besides those in the know would never flee to Iowa, which stands for I Ought to find a Way Around. There is an east west detour just above Dunbar for those that dont like adrenaline.

Writing "The WIndmillers Guide to Weigh Stations and Checkpoints" and developing & marketing 'the morning after the auction" pill, are the first things on my retirement agenda.

Aaron, there is no uniformity for states on how they treat farm plates and utility vehicles. You are subject to what goes in the state you are in. One thing is universal, if you have a CDL, you are supposed to know the regs. Us non CDL people, can always plead ignorance.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I know a few years ago I found some surplus building materials in Montana that was cheap and I wanted to take my farm semi up to get it. I went into the highway patrol's office and they were very helpful and said the same thing you did about your home state law ruled and that as long as I was using it for my farm or personal use and not commercial I could take my truck. However, he made a point to say I should "Avoid Nebraska at all cost" as they were not known to be friendly to out of staters with trailers. In my state I don't have to tag farm trailers but I have found that it is cheaper to buy a tag for one you take out of state than to draw their attention without a tag. Also, if windmills are just a hobby, I would suggest packing all your hats and business cards out of site to look less commercial, you may very well be legal but an argument on the side of the road rarely ends well.
Dave Straub

Post by Dave Straub »

I think that a straw hat, coveralls, dirty fingernails and s--t covered boots will go a long way.