Tracking the static water level

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
thomas4211

Tracking the static water level

Post by thomas4211 »

The static water level in one of my wells dropped 25 feet (25' to 50') in the past few years. California is still in a drought so I'm not too surprised. I looked online for an electronic device that monitors the current water level. $600-$1000 was too much to spend so I'm wondering if anyone has a DIY technique to monitor the current water level.
This well has a Grundfos SQF solar pump so there is no sucker rod to pull in order to check.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Tracking the static water level

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Small pebble and a timer. Time the drop to kerplunk at 32 ft / sec

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wow. I didn't know that. Cool!
Memory plant.... Change or clean the air filter in your air compressor! Mine runs 1/4 as much, and tools run better.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I just drop two wires hooked on to a lead weight down, when it hits water the two wires make connection and you can read it with a gauge on top, I got a reel with 700ft of double wire, cheap and easy and pretty fool proof. My table drops two foot a year on average, has since the 1950s .
perryjohn57

Post by perryjohn57 »

Interesting topic......I put a new deep well system in last year as a part of my off grid utility system, and for an extra $55 (yes,,,,$55.....) the pump installer put a 1/4 inch diameter vinyl tube along side the electric wires that went down the well bore. This was run into the "well house" and hooked to a gauge and schrader valve. To check the static water level you put compressed air into the schrader valve and down into the tubing.....the needle on the valve rises to a point where is starts to "flutter", and by reading this point on the gauge you determine how far the static water level is above the pump elevation.....then by subtracting the known pump depth you know the water level below ground level........I am on the road for work, but when I get back to the "Homestead" I will post a picture of the gauge set up.......john