New windmill well cylinder selection

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
mtblah

Re: New windmill well cylinder selection

Post by mtblah »

Paul V, i'm impressed !
windybob

Post by windybob »

Hey Mike, I'm impressed with Paul V , even without the well items. Heck, the guy plays banjo!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Thank you all for your advice. I think I have a little more of a game plan now. The electric pump I have is probably too big, (1hp I believe, but I'll check). So it will not be used on this project. In case I ever to want to install an electric pump below the windmill cylinder I'll set the bottom of the cylinder at the depth needed to install an electric pump. I'll still need to pull everything to add it, but at least I won't have to make any modifications to the drop pipe or sucker rod. I'll check the water level in my casing to see if I should be concerned about drawdown and if I should add a short piece of pipe below the working barrel.

I'll look at the Midlands. I've found them for sale a couple of places online. Looks like I can find one for about $300 for the working barrel. Is there any risk in ordering a repair kit with it? I like having my replacement parts sitting on the shelf, but not if the leathers are going to dry out or rot in the meantime.

Still thinking about the drop pipe size and material and the sucker rods. But I'm not overly concerned about sourcing those. I just need to roll that over in my head a few more times and weigh the pros and cons of each. I can get whatever material drop pipe locally. The sucker rods I'm a little concerned about though. Nowhere around here to buy them local, and I imagine the risk of damage during shipment is pretty high. I'm going to check with our fabricator at work about sourcing some 21' galvanized rods. I can thread them myself.

Thank you all again. And since I'm still making final decisions, if anyone else wants to chime in, I'm all ears. :)
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

My info tells me there is only one guy that is in east Texas that makes wood sucker rods. I think that Al Thomerson is ordering sucker rods from him. I do know that the fellow in North Texas sold out to Loren Lockman ,but he is not making sucker rods.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

have 3 original wood sucker rods , 18 ft long, , if you come to New Braunfels TX you can have them for free !
you can see a photo in the "free " section
Mike Blahnik
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

mtblah wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:12 am have 3 original wood sucker rods , 18 ft long, , if you come to New Braunfels TX you can have them for free !
you can see a photo in the "free " section
Mike Blahnik
That is quite a generous offer if you look at what wood rod is selling for now. :shock:
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Mike- I certainly appreciate the offer. However, that's about a 15 hour drive from my house to yours.

But now you threw a monkey wrench in my plans. I was only considering and comparing steel and fiberglass sucker rods. I think I understand the pros and cons of each of them. What are the pros and cons of wood sucker rods?
windybob

Post by windybob »

They float to ease the weight. You need at least a 2 inch drop pipe.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

So does that mean you can pump more water with wood sucker rods than with steel or fiberglass? I imagine the difference is felt more on a deeper well. So other than sourcing the things, what's the downfall to using wood sucker rods?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Probably the expense.