Guide Me

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
grezmonki

Guide Me

Post by grezmonki »

Hi all, a long time ago I could buy rod guides for 7/16"rod that would fit 1 1/4" drop pipe from Virden Perma Built. They quit making windmill stuff quite a few years ago(although at one time they told me they would make special orders). Sometimes in a pipe string , it ends up that the rod connectors are rubbing in the area where the pipe is threaded and rubs a hole in the pipe rather quickly. Im thinking a rod guide or two installed along the way would help slow this down. If I cant buy an official rod guide, what could I buy and "windmiller engineer" as a good reliable guide?
Dempster

Re: Guide Me

Post by Dempster »

Michael,

I've also wondered if Verden stopped making these guides. The last time I ordered from them when in Amarillo, I stopped by the office. It turned out that Joe had passed away, and his spouse/daughter were still trying to run the business. They were unsure of how to make the rod guides, but they found the type I used, and were able to produce some guides for me and mail them to me after a couple of weeks. I'm not sure which year this was, but it was several years ago. I used guides to fit 2" drop pipe, so I can't help you on the 1 1/4" drop pipe.

Actually, I would think that it wouldn't be to hard to make wooden rod guides. If someone has a wood shop with lathe they could probably produce rod guides that would do the job. I keep my guides in place by using stainless steel hose clamps. I think that's a more secure way of putting them in proper place than glue.

Lance
Ron Stauffer

Re: Guide Me

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Michael

If you are OK with being "guideless", you can change the length of the leader sucker rod in the cylinder. Leader sucker rod is the short piece that is on the plunger. Normally the length of the leader should make your rod just above the pipe coupling on all joints with the plunger at the bottom. This keeps the travel of the rod above the pipe coupling. I have seen some cylinders for 1.25" pipe coming thru without the leader piece of rod, not sure why.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO