Boss cistern

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
CTXmiller

Boss cistern

Post by CTXmiller »

I don't known anything about these, but it looks neat. Says located near Denton, TX which is north of Dallas / Ft Worth.

Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: Boss cistern

Post by Wayne »

I never knew what a cistern was until I moved to Corsicana. Not many windmills but every house had a cistern or they had no water. They look like a hand dug well until you get up close.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I got a friend with a big house built in 1887, we measured it and it was 25feet deep and about 5 ft dia shaped like a bottle and all brick, the gutters off one side of the house and carriage house drained into it and at the bottom was a pile of rusted buckets. I got a Boss also, I don't have many buckets but I am wanting to make some if all else fails. I would say that price is pretty good.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yes shaped like a bottle is the best way to describe them. Some around here would have a neck where they mounted the rope and pulley for drawing water. There is a home near me built in 1910. Still has the Cistern. The Great Grandson of the builder still lives in the house. His Dad told me he used to go down in it to clean it out.
rocar-ks

Post by rocar-ks »

I have several Boss pumps collected over the years. Price is probably in the ball park depending where you are. The cast base that pump mounts to is undesirable. It hinges and sets in a larger cast base. The large base is rare and hard to find and set directly over the hole with the hinged pump base swung over to allow access to cistern for maintenance. This is the Boss system I have observed. Sure there are myriad of other systems with other makes of pumps. The cups are getting harder to find as decorators are cutting them into small sections to hang on the wall for filling cups with whatever's etc. Same as our windmills getting cut up and placed on walls.
Rod
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I gave a price for a windmill to a man he didn't like my price. I ask him if he knew what had driven the price up and he said no. I told him it was woman. If they find blade sections or a vane they like price is no object.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Remember when the craze was type cases? Some great old type cabinets were cut up so they could sell the cases to females to hang on their wall and put little junk in. I am into letterpress printing, it was a travesty!