Offset Windmill Pump

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
Kevin

Offset Windmill Pump

Post by Kevin »

Has anyone set up a windmill that is not directly over the well?
In the old catalogs you see rocker arms that would connect a pump to a windmill using wires or steel rods.
When I was in China, Tom has some elaborate cable systems but I’m looking for a simple system for a very small cylinder in a shallow well.
The 2 inch driven well pipe is in a creek bed that floods with fast moving water. Whatever I install must attach to the 2 inch pipe.
Any ideas or advice?
Kevin

Ken has an image of a single cable with a weight to force the piston back down.
Weight.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Re: Offset Windmill Pump

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

In the old days, the oil patch would run a single steam engine or hit and miss running multiple cables to wells hundreds of feet away. Not many left but a few.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I''ve got a picture of a well that Ken O'Brock installed on a historical farm north of Dayton Ohio with a walking beam set up. The well and pump stand is inside a building and the wind mill sets beside it with a walking beam through the wall. Will dig them out and post them today.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Found my pictures. Don't have a shot of the windmill side. He had it set up to rotate the shaft. from outside to inside to get the pumping action. You might contact Ken he might have some diagrams of the set up.
IMG_3143.JPG
IMG_3144.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

IMG_20200407_100922859.jpg
My walking beam pump jack built by IHC. I run it with a gasoline engine but same principal if you hooked a windmill to the end.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for the info and photos.
A windmill is made to pull up, not push down so a straight walking beam would not be the best if there is much of a load.
Bending of the pump rod is an issue on the down stroke in a number of designs.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yes that is true. The rotating design would work best as the mill pulls up it would pull the pump up then as the mill is on it's down stroke the pump and sucker rods would be falling down.