Butler tower cap and bearing

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Mike Hage

Re: Butler tower cap and bearing

Post by Mike Hage »

20201230_223057.jpg
and then there's the gears
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

20201231_123415.jpg
and the bearings. Is there a Butler guru out there maybe someone whose restored one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Let's start with one at a time.

I picked up these rods at Praxair my local welding supplier. And I found this old can of flux but I've glass beaded everything so it should be clean.Don't think you will need the flux. I have never used it, even on regular cast. As long as it's clean. You spoke of nickle rod maybe better for a structural weld? How easy is it to shape? Can I blast it after and make it look like it was never welded? I am NOT a trained welder. Never took a class, but had some help learning to get things stuck. I will never weld anything for anyone that a life would depend on my welding. But over the years, I have managed to fix a lot of stuff, and even get better at it. I use NI99 rod. I have tried other rods for cast, always come back to that. Lately i tried NI55, but still prefer 99. I have no idea about structural welding. I have no idea about welding, and making it look like it's not been welded. My angle grinder is my best friend. lol So you don't preheat or pack it in something to let it cool overnight? Sorry to bug you but I know just about enough to be dangerous which is nothing No I don't pack it. I guess, just start with some practice, and see what you get. Some stuff I do with my welder helped me, like reversing the current, and getting the right amps to make it work right, for me.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

this is the wooden rod swivel. Theres a 3/4 inch bar that goes up to the walking beam and then a small flat bar that goes to the vane pullout and brake.

Not sure what you mean about a walking beam. The pumprod that goes up into the head ( flat bar?) my bolt securely in the head. If it does, then as the head rotates on the tower, the flat bar (pumprod) turns. This will wreck a well, so the swivel is mounted under the head to break the rotating action of the head in the wind at the swivel, and the rod that goes down into the well stays still. There is a wood pole that bolts to the other side of that swivel that goes to the well rods. That pole does not rotate.

Worn all to hell not sure where to start on that one. Maybe insert something in the swivel, to keep the weld from getting in to the inside, and weld it up, and grind it down to fit. Or have one made at a shop out of steel instead of cast. I think I would do the former idea.
windybob

Post by windybob »

and then there's the gears

Yes. On the pitman pins, you can take those in, have them welded and turned. Or buy some large bolts that don't have the threads all the way up, and re-purpose those.

Gears look better than I would expect, seeing how it's what, like 100 years old. I have welded and ground more teeth on gears than I can count. Or wait for someone to find some replacement parts out of a head. I only have 1 8 ft head like yours, so I can't sell parts. Try Dan B in S Dakota, if you don't have his number send me a private message, I will give it.

The pinions (smaller gears) Are more of a standard type gear, if you can't find a set, you can have them made if you want. A set of regular gears like that may be a better cost factor. Usually pinions are not special, with a standard type pitch etc, but you might need a keyway cut into them, who knows. There are guys on here with CNC machines, but to cut just 1 set....don't know.
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

20201231_131716.jpg
20201231_131618.jpg
20201231_131333.jpg
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

I'll go and get some of those NI99 rods.
windybob

Post by windybob »

and the bearings. Is there a Butler guru out there maybe someone whose restored one?

My little 6 footer has those also. I will give you a link where to get something like those. I will use replacements also, or pour babitt in the bearing housings. Not sure yet. I just ordered some brass for my MODEL 45 Woodmanse windmill that had Hyatt bearings. It seems to fit very well, so I will use the brass.
You can measure and cut the brass to whatever 1/2 round measurement you need. You can also maybe turn some bearings to put the better one, (usually on the top) on the bottom where the thrust is. It also comes in various types, with different friction relieving properties.

https://www.mcmaster.com/brass-bushings ... pe~sleeve/

brass.jpeg
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

Does copper stick to NI99? Can I use that for a filler?
windybob

Post by windybob »

DOn't think so, I think it just boils and pops and stuff. I use everything I can find for fillers, like steel nuts, washers, bolts, rods, and also I will admit one more thing........ Instead of using all NI99 rods for fill, what I will do is use it for a good outline of the area, then use the cheap 6011 or something to do the actually fill with. It bonds to the nickel. The nickel bonds to the cast. Please don't tell. I think that's illegal. lol