Ceiling fan for my shop?

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
hedgerow

Re: Ceiling fan for my shop?

Post by hedgerow »

Terry Neat set up. Thanks for posting
rlfry2

Post by rlfry2 »

Thanks for the responses, I did inquire and received a quote from Windmill Ceiling fans of Texas, for just a mounting bracket, motor and controller, came in North of $3,500.00. So I am thinking that is WAY out of budget for this project. I like the idea of finding a gear reduction box like Terry has on his, the VFD issue is that I only have single phase service in my shop, I can however run either 110 or 220. I run my compressor and welder on the 220's.
Found a site with a 60 to 1 reduction box that will make a 1725 rpm to 29 rpm, at that rate I can nearly go 1-1 on the pulleys. Looks like I can get parts from Grainger or somewhere similar.
Thanks again,
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

rlfry2 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:19 am I like the idea of finding a gear reduction box like Terry has on his, the VFD issue is that I only have single phase service in my shop, I can however run either 110 or 220.
Keep in mind, you can get VFDs configured for 1ph in and 3ph out (I have three of them running mills & lathe). I don't know that you would want to run continuously at say 20Hz (probably depends on the motor age and rating) reason being is that slower motor RPM also equals slower motor cooling fan. But with a gear reduction and then a VFD ... you'd get away from using pully reduction to reduce it the rest of the way and have the ability of a variable speed fan.

Just an option. It seems like a lot like proper direction is dependent on what items you can get for cheap or scrounge up.
Thanks,
Ed
Terry

Post by Terry »

I think you would need a few less RPM's than 29. I thought I had herd that at 29 RPM is where the centrifugal force kicks in. Something in the range of 10 to 15 or RPM. To fast and thing start to fly apart.
That could be done with pulleys and belts.
I am with Mister Ed cheap or scrounge up.
I think you can get a single PH VFD and run it on 220 volts. Don't have any idea on price.

Terry
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Terry
Another way to drive the fan would be with a DC motor and controller check our Grainger 1F800 its a motor and controller. We used a ton of these in the factory I did maintenance in. We ran a lot of conveyors and equipment threw gear boxes with them. Check surplus center in Lincoln Ne for a 60:1 gear box. I think you find a dc motor and controller will be cheaper that a ac motor and a VFD. You are still going to have some money in this project.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

hedgerow wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:57 am Terry
Another way to drive the fan would be with a DC motor and controller check our Grainger 1F800 its a motor and controller. We used a ton of these in the factory I did maintenance in. We ran a lot of conveyors and equipment threw gear boxes with them. Check surplus center in Lincoln Ne for a 60:1 gear box. I think you find a dc motor and controller will be cheaper that a ac motor and a VFD. You are still going to have some money in this project.
Good point on DC. I have seen some guys do a DC conversion in some machine tools. I think I have heard mention of treadmill motors (cheap source). No experience myself.
Thanks,
Ed
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

just checked the website for "Big Ass Fans ".com, all are equipped with DC motors and controllers,
some 5 ft fans start at $1300.
just a thought.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Here's the H/A wheel I sold to a friend. his machinist buddy rigged it. An extra long mainshaft, pillow block bearings, and I don't remember what else. This is before they hung it about 30 ft up. I think it's on a rheostat also.

IMG_2927 (2).mov
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.