8' Challenge 27

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Coulteryan

8' Challenge 27

Post by Coulteryan »

Have a pretty complete Challenge 27 that has finally made it into the shop, an upgrade from being chained upright against the fence.

When i first got it I filled the crank case with diesel fuel to loosen things up which worked quite well, but I found that the diesel leaked out by the main shaft so I assume the seal is bad.

Upon inspection, I notice there's a threaded cap on the back side of the case which I assume the shaft slides through meaning the two hubs have to come off to remove the shaft. Any suggestions on removing these intact, or am I reading this wrong?
Thank you
polevaulter1977

Re: 8' Challenge 27

Post by polevaulter1977 »

I’m new at this but I just disassembled a challenge 27. I took off the pipe plug cover. Loosen pinion gear set screws. Slide back pinion gear out through the hole where the plug was. Pull woodruff key. The shaft should slide out the front with hubs still attached. Be sure to pull second woodruff key that holds inside pinion gear. Mine was a bushing model. Just a rookies 2 cents. Good luck.
windybob

Re: 8' Challenge 27

Post by windybob »

Yes, Challenge 27 is the go-to guy on those. I have a 6 footer, but have not started on it yet.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.