Sad news from Bulverde Texas

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
DavidABarclay

Sad news from Bulverde Texas

Post by DavidABarclay »

Well yesterday’s storms produced heavy rains and wind gust across the Texas Hill Country. Unfortunately my least secured footing failed and now I have this. My mom didn’t raise a quitter so like Steve Austin I’m going to rebuild and make it stronger. I have few bent sails and might need some advice the best way to straighten them. Everything else seems to be okay. Well my Oak tree broke its fall and will take a few years to get some it limbs back. I’d appreciate any advice and pictures if you can help. I’ll keep everyone posted with my progress.
Thanks again. God Bless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Sad news from Bulverde Texas

Post by windybob »

Oh my. That's a shame! Just start taking everything apart and if you have any experience with body work, or sheet metal, all parts of the wheel can be straightened. An anvil (or railroad iron), an 2 lb hammer and a pair of safety glasses will occupy your time for a rainy day . Looks like some of your wheel is bolted, and some riveted. In order to get the rails back straight, it's easier to remover the sails off of it. That may mean grinding the rivet heads off and replacing with bolts.

Once you get the wheel off, spin the hubs, and make sure the mainshaft is not bent. Then just go over everything to see how everything fared after the fall.

You might post a picture of how your tower was fastened in the ground. It may demonstrate to us how not to do that. ;)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
DavidABarclay

Post by DavidABarclay »

Thanks Bob. Can you heat the sail up to make it bend easier?
windybob

Post by windybob »

No you don't want to do that. If you don't have a slip roll, or cannot re-curve them by hand, take them to a (local) sheet metal shop that makes plenums or such for furnaces. However, the ribs towards the end will be gone after that. Should be no matter.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If you do use a slip roll, run them upside down at first, then the proper side up. Mark with a soapstone the same side of them all. It's easy to get them upside down when rolling.
Last edited by windybob on Wed May 19, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve p

Post by steve p »

Well that stinks!
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

All of the above and many times (if not creased) its as simple as a well placed size 14 (in my case) while pulling with a gloved hand.
Thanks,
Ed
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I make me wooden blocks cut to match the curve of the blades I'm working with. I usually use a 2x6 and after you cut it with a band saw or good jig saw you then have the inner and outer to beat against. Bought me a set of metal working hammers and hand anvils from harbor freight. Seems to work pretty good. Time and patience.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

David, i would be glad to help you if you can bring the sails to New Braunfels.
I straightened my Aermotor A702 sails, all will look good 35 ft in the air.
Mike Blahnik
New Braunfels
254-718-5588
DavidABarclay

Post by DavidABarclay »

Mike,
Thanks! This is the one with the most damage. Think we can straighten it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.