Freeman Clipper 6' windmill

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
mmacpher

Freeman Clipper 6' windmill

Post by mmacpher »

I recently purchased a Freeman Clipper 6' windmill from the Ralph Weibusch estate. This is my first windmill and I am on a steep learning curve. I got the head off and onto a cart at home and now have so many questions.

1. The windmill seems overall in nice shape but the bearings are bad and would need to be repoured. I watched some youtube videos on repouring a bearing and I am a fairly handy person…. but any advice on how hard that is? I also may need to buy a replacement main shaft as the shaft appears necked down, there is one available on e-bay.

2. I also notice the top of each moving part has a place to pour oil in, I had read that people used to add oil daily. If I use this windmill in my yard, will I have to climb the 20’ tower to add oil daily, weekly, monthly?

3. I envision as you add oil that also rain, bugs, leaves, dirt, dust also get in there. Is there a cap available for this windmill or for each individual oil reservoir? If not, has anyone fabricated anything?

4. At the end, I just like the look and sound of a windmill in our little farm. Am I better off trying to sell this windmill head and buy a rebuilt Aeromotor with an oil bath?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Freeman Clipper 6' windmill

Post by windybob »

Welcome to the site!

The mill looks to be in great shape. I wish mine would have been that nice when I got it. I started on mine, which looks to be the same model as yours, but never finished it totally.

There will be lots of help here. Don't be sorry for asking questions! They are welcome here. I will chime in later, I have a busy day today.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I think that is the model they have at Shattuck OK. Terry from Kansas will know for sure.
IvanBlock

Post by IvanBlock »

I was at the auction last Saturday as well. You bought yourself a nice easy to work on little windmill. First thing I'd say is don't over think anything and make it more difficult than it needs to be. First thing is, those oil boxes had pressed tin covers to keep dirt and rain out. See attached pictures. If you are handy make a pattern out of hardwood and press what you need out of a light weight galvanized steel (28 or 30 ga) lighter it is the easier to press. Light weight copper sheeting will be easier to form because it will give more. The oil boxes are filled with some kind of fiber before adding the oil so it releases slower, long fiber cotton will work well. I've even seen old oil boxes filled with what appeared to be horse or cattle tail hair. This method will cut oiling down to every few months rather than days or weeks. I've restored several of these and have 3 or 4 more to go if I ever have time and know some have a stepped shaft, so that's probably not due to wear. What I would do for bearing replacement instead of repouring babbitt is use oil rite bronze bearings. They are available in numerous sizes and you should be able to find what you need. If you can get the hub or pinion gear off slide the whole bearing onto the shaft or you can just split the bearing and place the two pieces around the shaft. These will last much longer than babbitt and are much easier to replace if need be. Keep it simple get it up and running and enjoy it...
100_9975.JPG
100_9978.JPG
100_9977.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmacpher

Post by mmacpher »

Ivan, Thank you, Thank you! Both of those are FANTASTIC Pieces of advise!
windybob

Post by windybob »

If you use the brass bushing idea, make it to where the bearing don't turn in the housing.

Not sure about the stepped shaft thing. I don't see it.
mmacpher

Post by mmacpher »

Thanks for the input, I’ve been also thinking about how to prevent the oil lite bearing from spinning. Next rainy day I’ll take the shaft out and see what I have got and post an update.

I’m curious if anyone knows the original colors for the freeman clipper? The version I have the head is black and the bearing caps appear red?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Look under original bolts and nuts. Maybe you'll get lucky and discover the original color. I'm not sure what it is.
mmacpher

Post by mmacpher »

I have made some progress, but now have a few more questions. Again, I'm new at this so please be patient with me...

First, I got some extra steel to bolt onto them and bury underground. I bolted and welded on 10" feet at the bottom (see attached file). I intend to dig approx 48" deep holes to get below our MN frostline, then place a 12" concrete punch pad bit with a bit of pea gravel below it. Once the windmill is in place....should I just throw a bag of dry Quick-Crete down each hole and immediately bury? OR should I actually mix up a couple bags of concrete/hole in my mixer and pour it in? I could then strap the windmill tower down to pickups/tractors to prevent it from moving while concrete cures.

Second, what size of hole would you recommend to put through the top of the babbit to let oil seep into the bearings? I assume if to large it may use up oil to quickly and if to small it could risk a clog?

Third, what kind of oil would you recommend. Remember this is the top oil style, not the oil-bath style like on an aeromotor?
[/i]
Slim

Post by Slim »

I know this topic is a few months old but I just wanted to say cool looking mill. I am curious though I do not see anything that’s takes the thrust on wheel shaft. Would it not need collars or bearings/washers on both sides to be able to handle the thrust for both directions for when it’s in and when it turns out of the wind? I’m probably just missing something sorry. I’m not criticizing or claiming to know anything I’m just trying to understand.
When the 🐍 starts talking it’s time to quit listening!