A pair of IXLs

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
pcowley (RIP)

Re: A pair of IXLs

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

I do not remember where I got it or where it went when I sold it but, it was painted silver even under the bolt heads.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

That's interesting Paul. Are you of the opinion that they were silver originally?

By chance was this the one you sold to Balsick's 2-3 years ago?
Thanks,
Ed
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

yes
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Thanks Paul!! Silver it will be. Ironically the only one I have seen repainted silver, is a pic of the only other direct stroke that I have seen.

Also thanks for posting the IXL worksheet/diagrams on the old site. I copied it off there years ago, and have been using it while making new mast pipe, pump rod & linkages.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

The paint is interesting. Maybe one model silver, and another model black? I don't think it's feasable for a company to do that, but everytime I think I know something, something else comes along and blows up that thought. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Here are some update pics from today. A couple setbacks (worst being I toppled the main casting and broke an ear off😭). But also got a bit accomplished.
IMG_20210606_202607874.jpg
IMG_20210606_202544741.jpg
IMG_20210606_202528192.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

Looking good. Sorry about the ear!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Mr ED, you have talents WAY past my limited abilities and knowlwdge !
Good work ...
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Looks great, I would love to see a wood IXL up close and see how different it is from you metal direct stroke. Those are beautiful mills and I see them all the time in historic photos around here but I have never even found a part other than sheet metal. Keep us posted on your progress!
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Kansas Rust Buzzard wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:56 pm Looks great, I would love to see a wood IXL up close and see how different it is from you metal direct stroke.
Aaron - As I recall, there were two versions of wood IXLs. On the later version, I think there were only a couple parts that were specific to the wood wheel (besides the wheel & vane).

Find me a tower or two, I half recall you mentioning them in the past (I think).
mtblah wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:18 am Mr ED, you have talents WAY past my limited abilities and knowlwdge !
Good work ...
Thanks, but a lot of these guys are really talented. I just know a little about a lot. And am always trying to learn more. Wasn't too many years ago I had no lathe or mill or slip rolls or xxx ... Then I drug home a 602 in the back of my wife's Grand Cherokee and my life changed.
Thanks,
Ed